Terminal shows a warning while installing: Not on PATH - how to fix? (SOLVED)

linux_user96

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install "youtube-dl" and this warning is shown in my command line:

WARNING: The script youtube-dl is installed in '/home/linuxmint/.local/bin' which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.

so what is the right thing to do here? just suppress the warning? what will happen if I do that?

It is telling you that the youtube-dl is installed but in the wrong place - I would delete that file
Code:
sudo apt purge youtube-dl
or navigate there via root and manually delete it - and install it like this
The preferred way to install is using pip: First install pip
Code:
sudo apt install python3-pip
now install youtube-dl
Code:
pip install youtube-dl
or
Code:
sudo -H pip install --upgrade youtube-dl
to update it
Code:
sudo pip install -U youtube-dl

NOTE:youtube-dl can also be installed via a package manager (e.g. sudo apt install youtube-dl), but these versions are almost always outdated, due to the fast pace that websites are updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is telling you that the youtube-dl is installed but in the wrong place - I would delete that file
Code:
sudo apt purge youtube-dl
or navigate there via root and manually delete it - and install it like this
The preferred way to install is using pip: First install pip
Code:
now install youtube-dl
Code:
pip install youtube-dl
or
Code:
sudo -H pip install --upgrade youtube-dl
to update it
Code:
sudo pip install -U youtube-dl

NOTE:youtube-dl can also be installed via a package manager (e.g. sudo apt install youtube-dl), but these versions are almost always outdated, due to the fast pace that websites are updated.
thx that worked. stay safe and healthy out there!

The other option would be to simply add $HOME/.local/bin to your $PATH environment variable.

See this rather long post here:

The answer in the link above is related to adding a personal /bin directory.

The part you need is where /etc/X11/Xsession is edited to alter $PATH to include $HOME/.local/bin.

That particular path is a useful one to have in your $PATH as it is one that is used by some packages. However, it’s not typically set up by default.
By adding the code recommended in the above post, if anything gets installed there and that directory exists, it will get added to $PATH and any executables there will be available to you.

Last edited:
There was news I read that the maintainer of youtube-dl has declared himself inactive, which I guess means that the development of the program is stalled. There is an alternative here: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp, called yt-dlp, which may be in the repositories of lots of distributions by now. It is so in debian. I compared the download speeds of youtube-dl and yt-dlp and there was a dramatic difference in favour of yt-dlp. There are also a number of extra features in yt-dlp which are outlined in the github page.

There was news I read that the maintainer of youtube-dl has declared himself inactive, which I guess means that the development of the program is stalled. There is an alternative here: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp, called yt-dlp, which may be in the repositories of lots of distributions by now. It is so in debian. I compared the download speeds of youtube-dl and yt-dlp and there was a dramatic difference in favour of yt-dlp. There are also a number of extra features in yt-dlp which are outlined in the github page.
Also have a look here - https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/30568 and here - https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/commit/21b759057502c6e70d51011cfb3fb86d8405518

To install yt-dlp - make sure Python3-pip is installed first
Code:
now install yt-dlp
Code:
sudo python3 -m pip install -U yt-dlp
to update run
Code:
sudo yt-dlp -U

Darn it... An article on yt-dlp is actually on my short list of articles to write.

I may still write it. LOL

Members online

Latest posts