Solved Testing the question format

Solved issue

I don't get the question?

Leave it for now on this section only, as a test to see how everyone finds it?

It kind of reminds me of Reddit style topics.

ok, just edited this thread to pick @wizardfromoz as the one to answer the question correctly:

Kinda cool, it brings the 'solution' reply right to the top.

The word 'solved' was already in the thread title, so it doesn't look like it adds that, however, it did add a little green checkmark on the forum view page where all of the titles are.

Things are seldom good when the head admin starts mucking about and spending too much time on the site.

I'm kidding...

Well, I'm partially kidding...

I've actually pondered this before - but only the 'solution' button aspect. I don't think we need the upvotes and downvotes like Reddit, but I do like a 'solution' button choice. Though it turns out to often be 'accepted solution' when more are available, at sites like Stack Exchange.

I'd also not want it to turn into a popularity contest.

I'd also like to not have it evolve into people rushing to answer questions with a shotgun approach instead of people providing their current thought-out post responses.

I think it's a great idea to give the users/OP the ability to choose the best answers and mark the question as resolved. This will help to improve the overall organization and clarity of the conversation.

lol ... yeah, i think the up/down votes part helps to show op that the rest of the community supports that answer. Then, Op has a better idea whether to trust it.
Would it be possible to down vote the Kali section so it doesn't get shown so that we don't have to deal with more Mr Robot wanna Be's?

It's often not only the solution that is significant but also posts that made suggestions which lead to the solution. Posts that exhibit ways of thinking and approaching problems even though they may not have produced the overt answer to a problem have value, and potentially have more significance in the long run because they may provide a strategy or methodology in approach to other problems and concerns. The idea of trumpeting a solution alone, although initially of great assistance to a user, isn't necessarily the most useful approach for learning in the long run. Reading through a whole thread, however meandering, can be far more informative, though it can be more tiresome and frustrating too.

It's often not only the solution that is significant but also posts that made suggestions which lead to the solution. Posts that exhibit ways of thinking and approaching problems even though they may not have produced the overt answer to a problem have value, and potentially have more significance in the long run because they may provide a strategy or methodology in approach to other problems and concerns. The idea of trumpeting a solution alone, although initially of great assistance to a user, isn't necessarily the most useful approach for learning in the long run. Reading through a whole thread, however meandering, can be far more informative, though it can be more tiresome and frustrating too.
Yep, i agree. THere will be some that have a definite, quick answer and then others that gradually get to the answer through members talking about it throughout the thread. So, i'm glad we can sort them by date and/or rating.

Also, it appears that I can mark my own comment as the solution, even though I did not start the thread - or solve anything.

I think that's because you're a mod :)

Well, that's an unusual power. I'll be sure to use it wisely - in instances where OP failed to do so when warranted I suppose...

Reactions: Rob
Same system as that used by StackExchange, I believe. AskUbuntu, ServerFault, StackOverflow, Unix & Linux, etc.....all use the upvote/downvote system, and have pretty much as far back as I can remember. Strangely, it doesn't seem to get used that much over there, even so.....all the more surprising, given how many different approaches are taken in an average thread to answer the OP's question.

With a format like that employed by the StackExchange network of communities, the upvote/downvote system is almost a necessity.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: