marbles

Reaction score
Credits
i don't think i will be able to convey this, but i will attempt to;

in libre writer 6.4 i want to add a textbox, which i know how to do

but i can't seem to figure out how to change the font nor the size of the text

i tried going to "format-text box and shape" and that didn't work

i think the answer is in "format-text" but everything is greyed out :(

but looking at the "format-text" i see that i can change the font size but not the font

more importantly - if i'm able to get to a point where i can

advanced question - i would like to use the text font and size thats already in the document i'm trying to modify. is there a way i can tell it to set the font and size of whatevers in the document

thx for reading

@marbles - what version of Mint are you using?

It's important because version of LO that shipped with 21.1 'Vera' is 7.3 so clearly you are on an older one and the advice might differ from our helpers.

I am moving this to General Computing because LO is open source and cross-platform, but it is not Linux.

Wizard

Yes

It

Is

If you ask for our help, you provide what is asked for, and we determine what is needed.

If you do not choose to do so, then that is your choice but do not expect help from us.

You can go to Libre Office and ask for help there if you wish.

Wizard

Greetings all, @marbles
I am using Linux Mint 21.1 vera, with LibreOffice 7.5 Writer.
These are the latest versions of both.
I had no problem making a text box and then filling it with whatever words I wanted. I changed colors, font size and type in the same sentence.
Here is what I did:

Screenshot at 2023-03-24 08-39-37.png

My advice would be for you to update your systems.
Old Geezer Tango Charlie

PS. Please, when asking for help, do not instruct the helpers about what is and what is not needed. They already know; you are the one who needs to learn what to do.

Last edited:
Highlight the text you want to change inside the text box then right click it and select character

lb - perfect. thank you. that almost solves it. how to do this in real-time? it would take too much time to try the different fonts one at time?

cc - why did you say you were going to tell us how you did it but you didn't.

more importantly - as lb proved and as i said, you don't need the os version for this. i'm stupid, i'm not an idiot.

thank you lb

lb - perfect. thank you. that almost solves it. how to do this in real-time? it would take too much time to try the different fonts one at time?

more importantly - as lb proved and as i said, you don't need the os version for this. i'm stupid, i'm not an idiot.

thank you lb
What was the big deal in giving the Mint version anyway. You come across as ungrateful.

Last edited:
when you ask for something you don't need, then you're talking to me like i'm an idiot.

i've said this 3 times now.

You must be running Windows, I'd advice you to reinstall your system to fix the Libreoffice problem or you can call your local Microsoft customer support number where they get paid for their time.

FYI, there can be differences in how things are done between major versions. For example Microsoft Office 2003 is a lot different from Microsoft Office 2021.

p.s What is the make and model of your system?

Last edited:
when you ask for something you don't need, then you're talking to me like i'm an idiot.

i've said this 3 times now.
With sincere respect, posts like this are discouraging to see, especially for volunteers who answer questions and help others with problems.

There are people here who understand your concern about information leakage. It can be expressed in a nice way or it can be expressed very rudely, without understanding or appreciation.

It may (or it may not) have occurred to you, @marbles, that just one of the reasons for such a request, is to establish whether you are using an eol os....that is an 'end of life, operating system'

If this were the case, and you were using an os hwich is out of date, then the libre opffice would not be receiving updates....which are crucial for it to function properly.

Our asking which OS/version you are using actually answers a long line of questions for us.....obviously instead of answering it you have dragged it out to a totally unnecessary degree.

Click on menu...type in Welcome, and hit enter. Your OS and version etc is the bottom right hand corner.

For heavens sake, type it in here and get on with the show !

And......the font etc already being used shows on the page that you are typing on......mine is liberation serif...the font size is beside that 12pt

I dont know much more about libre office writer....I rarely, if ever, use it.

@marbles :-

As Lord Boltar has stated, L. Office is no different to any other piece of software that runs under Linux. Not in this respect.

Having created your text box, that "box" is then the item that's 'in-focus' at that moment in time. That being the case, it should respond to standard formatting changes in 'real-time' just as the document itself will when you are typing in that as normal.

At least, this is the case for any of the several different office suites that I run from time to time.

Mike. ;)

He didn't. He said

Here is what I did:

What he generated, not how he did it.

In fact, the OP would likely do better with a frame, Because LibreOffice have this to say

kiwi_writer
Nov '20
How do I change the default font for Text Box in Writer? I can change on a case-by-case basis using Properties, but I want to have my default template always apply my preferred font to new text boxes.

You can’t. It is a common mistake to use text boxes for what should be text frames. Text boxes are graphic objects beyond the reach of the Writer formatting machinery. They are external to text because they are just part of a drawing. Note that if these graphics are created with Draw, you have sty…

You can insert a Frame by using from your Writer menu

Insert>Frame>Frame...

and start working with that.

While the frame is being built, you can right click in it and choose Properties and as well as having all the options you need to format it you can click Help in it and it will open your default browser and load the relevant Help stored on your hard drive.

nM6WXkC.png

First one is a text box, 2nd one is a frame.

VcL2DiX.png

This one is a frame being built, and you can drag any of those 8 handles (little squares)

eaCClYu.png

The above shows the Frame Properties, Area chosen, and if you click the Help button bottom left it will take you to the appropriate help, sourced from your Hard Drive.

E00gmHh.png

You can see from the address bar that it is sourced from a file on your drive rather than the internet.

And you'll note it is Help for your 6.4 LO Writer.

For our Helpers if they need it - the OP is using one of the U series of Linux Mint, that is, 20.0 'Ulyana', 20.1 'Ulyssa', 20.2 'Uma', or 20.3 'Una'.

He initially post the thread in Mint, and I moved it to General Computing, since we do not officially support LO.

That also answers questions from @f33dm3bits and @Condobloke regarding Windows and whether his distribution was about to go EOL.

I know this because all 4 of the U series, if updated, use LO 6.4.7, with Ulyana having shipped with 6.4.2 (and since updated) and Ulyssa 6.4.6 (and since updated). The V series starting with Vanessa on 21.0 went to the 7 series of LO.

Over the years and releases of LO there have been changes made to Text Frames, and so it was important to find out what version of Mint he was using, which he failed to provide.

Further, if he had been using LO 6.0.7 he would have been on the T series of Mint (Tara, Tessa, Tina and Tricia) all of which expire 30th April.

The OP can get official help from

ask.libreoffice.org

eg

https://ask.libreoffice.org/search?q=text frames

... although I am unsure how they will respond to his deciding what he is willing to provide or not.

Cheers all, and thanks as usual to all our valued helpers.

Wizard

thank you lb
Good morning marbles,
Please slow down and read just what I said; which is "Here is what I did:". I don't recall writing that I was going to tell you how I did it.
I flunked English in high school, but remember what that teacher taught me: "I can teach you but I cannot learn for you." I never forgot that.
OG

Many thanks to the Wiz for his helpful instruction.
Easy to follow and use.
This was done with the 'frame' instruction.
One more thing to add to my toolbox.

Frame 2023-03-25 10-25-12.png

As you can see, you can do almost anything in the frame that you can do in any ordinary writer document. {I could not put a picture inside the frame.}

Old Geez
Never retire, never stop learning. Stay busy.

Last edited:
Always welcome, Charlie.

Chris

Staff online

Members online