The best linux hardware ($6,500)

D

DeaDSouL

Hello,

I was saving some cash to get a PC that should last for 5 years without losing too much performance.

So, I would probably invest $6,500 in
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card(s)
  • Network Card
  • Power Sply
  • Chais
  • Cooling System

The system will be almost 24/7 switched on.

And the hardwares must be linux-friendly.

So, what hardwares do you recommend ?

Thanks

You can get a PC that'll last 10 years for $2,000. Although that is a very nice budget for a wicked beast of a machine.

Honestly, the best suggestion I have is to try building a PC that's submerged in mineral oil. Look it up, I think you'd enjoy it. I was gonna do something like that earlier this year, but pushed it off. I'll probably do it this coming year. You can take out cooling if you go this route!

Also, I prefer Intel based chipsets.

Honestly, the best suggestion I have is to try building a PC that's submerged in mineral oil.

Great suggestion,.. I've seen a chinese or japanese youtube video very very long time ago.. but I didn't think it was available ..

Thanks my friend.

Still waiting other suggestions, tips, recommendations.

Nothing goes down in value faster than computers and electronics. I think I would indulge most of that money in wine, women, and song, and then squander the rest.

OK, just kidding. Hope you build a great machine! That is just way out of my league. If I spend $600 on a computer I think I paid too much.

Cheers!

The best Linux hardware is:

# RAM Memory.
# Video cards.
# Network Interface Cards (NIC).
# Keyboard and Mice
# Hard Drives and Storage.
# Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling.
# Sound Card.
# Speakers.
# Headphones/Headsets.
# CD-ROM.
# DVD
# Modems
# Printers
# Scanners
# Tape Backup
# Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS)

If you have any tip about the hardwares... please share it

Thanks

Phew... you can surely pick bad hardware since especially state of the art hardware is not supported some times so you might pick a good vendor. I have not much experience with it since I mostly use legacy hardware (I am taking a sad look into my wallet right now...). Just get informed which Vendors are eager to support crossplatform. There are also Linux specific hardware shops out there, maybe they did the work already. Found this one first google entry:

http://www.linux-onlineshop.de/index.php

Good luck and keep us up to date, I am curious what a 6500$ PC looks like!

edit: If you have to run it 24/7 you might want to look for hardware which is constructed to do so. I think this is server based hardware then... I am not well informed though...

Members online