The location of the menu?

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Now you should be able to predict this, Mate? - start a Thread on the subject :)
I started using Linux when Gnome2 was still the thing and with Gnome2 the menu was always on the top left. I have been putting my menu on the top left ever since, even when I was running Cinnamon where the menu was on the bottom left by default. Just wondering why so many people prefer to keep their menu on the bottom left? I'm guessing it has to do with that Windows also has the menu on the bottom left by default. Why do people choose to keep it there when running GNU/Linux when they can move it around any place they want, would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind this and the thoughts on it.

When you read/write etc, you naturally look down, add to this most of the world read left to right, then bottom left is the natural position [when running a task bar I prefer that to go top to bottom [left or right side doesn't matter]

As you suggested re the menu being in the bottom left on windows....that is exactly why my Menu button is bottom left !

I suppose I was too busy sorting out the rest of what I didnt know about Linux (everything!!) to worry about the position of that button. It would have been the last thing on my mind.

Moving the Menu button to top left, would involve adding a new panel across the top of the screen, or mounting a panel vertically on the left side of the screen ?

When you read/write etc, you naturally look down, add to this most of the world read left to right, then bottom left is the natural position [when running a task bar I prefer that to go top to bottom [left or right side doesn't matter]
When I read a book, I read from top left, down to bottom right. So a menu at the top left of the screen isn't that unnatural.

Moving the Menu button to top left, would involve adding a new panel across the top of the screen, or mounting a panel vertically on the left side of the screen ?
No, with most DE's including Cinnamon, you can just go to the properties of the panel and tell it you want the panel at the top. I used to do that with Cinnamon and that is also possible with Xfce so most likely also with other DE's.

This is what my menu and taskbar look like, it just feels natural to me even though it's not at the bottom left, I don't use my menu very often though because I got all the applications I use daily bound to a key combination.
Screenshot_2021-07-04_11-18-01.png

Last edited:
I use dwm. My menu is in the top bar. Also, I use dmenu which is a text based fuzzy-finder/launcher. So I have to type what I want to run and press enter to launch it. Tab completion makes typing the program name a lot easier!

I use dmenu as my run launcher as well but I do have a normal menu setup in case I forgot what other graphical applications I have on my system which I don't use on a regular basis, that way I have a quick overview

for me, in Windows has always been the default location so bottom left. But with Linux I started getting used to having the bar at the top (center). I use the Dash to Panel extension in gnome and then I just tweak it and set it up to autohide and run on top (center).

I typically have a lot of stuff open. If I moved the menu (and panel) to the top, I'd have to move my browser tabs to the bottom, lest I be dreadfully confused. I don't even know if I *can* move my browser tabs to the bottom.

Members online