The Nobara Project

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'm came across this Linux distribution today which I didn't know about yet. It's based on Fedora and
it's maintained by GloriousEgrolll who is the creator of the Proton fork ProtonGE. This distribution adds
tweaks to optimize gaming. Although from my own experience I have never really noticed a difference
in performance when trying different kernels and different mesa versions. As well as currently I think
futex and fysnc are in mainline.

Last edited:

It is basically meant for people new to Linux. As it has a lot of gaming and video packages already installed.
Including "non-free" packages like codecs and drivers, so everything works out-of-the-box.
Looks interesting, too bad it doesn't have a version for Raspberry Pi.

I saw a video on this distribution on YouTube, it seemed really handy to have a sort of plug-and-play setup experience for a gaming-focused PC.

I will try this at a later date, but out of all the distros i tried when it comes to gaming, I would recommend POP_OS! or Garuda KDE Dragonized Gaming Edition since they are ready for gaming when installed, and little setup or tinkering is needed.

Mod Note: Edited - Removed bold formatting

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 computers but one for "gaming" —Good old Counter Strike, some old wrpgs and emulation. So I gave it a shot. It is a Dell Vostro 3681; i5 10400, 16gib, rx 6400... It was to install it and everything worked like a charm... I am amazed... Even my Razer peripherals are working without any tweak with OpenRGB.

It is fantastic. I mean... it has everything you need, as soon as you finish the installation you can install any game you have on steam and stream it to Twitch with OBS... with KDEnlive you can edit and upload your clips and everything you may need...

I tried to install StarCraft... I just downloaded the Battle.net setup for Windows... and it worked... Overwatch works too without any tweak...

It is so ez and simple...

Tbh I have installed it over my niece's computer and it has an performance boost gaming with an Intel UHD 630... Minecraft runs smooth. If you have a little dude you can just install it over an old PC, smack an old AMD GPU and ggwp, it will work smooth.

Nobara is a game changer. I am not even a Fedora/RPMbasedDistro user... and I find it so damn simple.

As Todd Howard says... It just works.

Kudos to GloriousEgrolll, this distro is one of the best if not the best for gaming. Chapeau.

It is fantastic. I mean... it has everything you need, as soon as you finish the installation you can install any game you have on steam and stream it to Twitch with OBS... with KDEnlive you can edit and upload your clips and everything you may need...

I tried to install StarCraft... I just downloaded the Battle.net setup for Windows... and it worked... Overwatch works too without any tweak...
personal i would recommend program like OBS and KDEnlive be installed with flatpak but it's really up to you just experience them run better in the long run.

personal i would recommend program like OBS and KDEnlive be installed with flatpak but it's really up to you just experience them run better in the long run.
You can change it through Discover —I have installed the KDE version, it should be the same in Gnome but with its equivalent.

You rang?