the novice

Khogen A

Reaction score
Credits
i'm confused as to which OS will suit me. please recommend.
had a zero experience in linux b4. i'm a window user.

Hi Khogen, Welcome to Linux.org. Answering your question is really quite difficult. There are over 100 different flavors of Linux out there, and thousands(?) or more that will defend each version. Myself, I use Linux Mint Cinnamon. I find it is very similar to windows so the transition was pretty seamless for me. Your best bet is to go to distrowatch.org, read up on the different versions, download the iso of those that interest you, then burn them to a bootable DVD or Thumb drive. This way you can test each one without installing them. Note, they will run slower from a DVD or Thumb drive than from your hard drive so keep that in mind.

Hey there Khogen! What are you looking to use Linux for? Regular desktop/workstation? You can't go wrong starting with Linux Mint or Ubuntu - then working into the others as you get more familiar with things.

Like Bayou suggested, load it on a thumb drive and boot off that to play around. As you get more comfortable, you can load it to your hard drive!

We have a 'download linux' page (linked at the top of the page) that links out to the download pages for 25 of the popular distributions for easy access to the iso files.

Good luck!

Hard to go past what my friends above have input

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over Linux manuals, curses and they turn into Beijing Dialect Chinese. Fortunately he speaks Beijing-hua)

Welcome @Khogen A :)

Also useful is that Linux have a number of DEs (Desktop Environments), think of them as being like the differences between the look and feel of Windows 7, 8 and 10.

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Also make friends with alternativeto.net .

Google up eg "alternative to MS Office" or "alternative to Paintshop", and you'll get the picture, with their site being highly placed.

Be prepared to give us the brand name and model of your computer, and we can advise further.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz