The Video Rental Store May Be On The Verge Of A Resurgence

D

Deleted member 111282

James Rolfe, who's best known for his Angry Video Game Nerd series on YouTube, is a filmmaker, film buff, and film historian who has made a number of videos in the past about going to video stores growing up, such as:

Even the age of streaming, which nearly killed rental stores, there's still a hardcore passion for going to them. Because of that, Netflix recently released a workplace sitcom about working at the last remaining Blockbuster, streaming platforms becoming expensive and isolated, people getting tired of their favorite shows and movies getting deplatformed, and Blockbuster itself being nostalgic, I'm predicting an ironic situation where rental stores will eventually turn the tables on streaming. There's already a new store that opened up in Baltimore, Maryland called Beyond Video, as seen here: https://yourvideo2dvd.co.uk/blogs/news/video-rental-shops-are-making-a-comeback-in-the-us. If this becomes a new trend, there's a possibility Dish Network, who owns Blockbuster, might cause a resurgence in Blockbuster stores opening again. Are you skeptical of this, excited, or both?

We're going to need a medium. VHS tape which offers poor quality and could stretch out in humidity? CD/DVD or laser disk or what have you which could scratch easily and give out completely after 10 years? Blu-Ray whose destiny is controlled completely by one company? LOL go ahead, I don't see the tables turned on streaming anytime soon.

<-- Very skeptical since Blockbuster has to be the one making the comeback for whoever was informing about it.

I didn't watch the video, this topic doesn't interest me. I seldom watch movies. Earlier this year I should have watched "Logan" but missed it, still angry about it and I wonder if there will be a movie this year about X-23. I like watching MLB baseball, and whenever I can hockey, women's basketball and less often, FIFA World Cup. I liked watching cartoons but since the rise of lame Cartoon Network... phht. I wish I was able to see even more Anime; from a good friend I saw many hours of "Dragonball Z" LOL although that was stiff animation. Last year I got ahold of Sailor Moon, "I will punish you!" That goofy Osagi is a trip. :D

I use to love going to the local video store and rent a few movies (DVDs)...it was great but it's now all gone...never to return...so sad.
m1510.gif

Netflix just announced that they will shutdown their DVD by mail service in September 2023. DVD rental by mail is how Netflix got its start.

I wonder if they will have an effect on the used DVD market by selling off their old DVDs? For all I know, they may be sold by the pound or ton. ... or they may be destroyed to simplify legal and license issues.

Edit: Noticed and fixed typo.

Last edited:
We're going to need a medium. VHS tape which offers poor quality and could stretch out in humidity? CD/DVD or laser disk or what have you which could scratch easily and give out completely after 10 years? Blu-Ray whose destiny is controlled completely by one company? LOL go ahead, I don't see the tables turned on streaming anytime soon.

Every medium is never going to perfect. Because technology's always evolving, there will eventually be something to replace blu-rays. Here's an article I just read about SSDs possibly becoming that, and I could see it happening: https://www.howtogeek.com/821674/is-blu-ray-the-last-optical-disc-format/

I didn't watch the video, this topic doesn't interest me.

Why did you even respond to it?

I wonder if they will have an affect on the used DVD market by selling off their old DVDs? For all I know, they may be sold by the pound or ton. ... or they may be destroyed to simplify legal and license issues.

Perhaps movie buffs and historians, like Rolfe, will buy them for collection purposes. As long as there's money to be made, Netflix will find a way to sell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every medium is never going to perfect. Because technology's always evolving, there will eventually be something to replace blu-rays. Here's an article I just read about SSDs possibly becoming that, and I could see it happening
With the current level of technology evolving there is no wonder that people's life goes into online sphere. If you can store all the vids you need in your google account for some fee I guess that you will not want to deal with optical discs, my opinion. But on the other hand my guess is that one should have a Plan B and some of the most important info backup to SSD.

Members online