There are a question about the kernel

khsu17

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I just started Linux. And I'm sorry for my English.
Please help me solve this problem.

Can't I use the Ubuntu 18.04 to 5.13.X version of the kernel?
I have keyboard and Wi-Fi issue.
And in other to solve it, I think it is necessary to install a kernel version of 5.13.X or higher.
I confirmed that the problem was solved in Ubuntu 20.04 (with 5.13.X kernel), but I have to use Ubuntu 18.04.

If you know any other way, please let me know.
Keyboard : If I press any key(except for 'Shift', 'Ctrl', 'Alt'), power off window appears or power off.
Wi-Fi : There is only a message saying " No wifi adapter found ".

I've tried many things, but I think the kernel problem is likely.

@khsu17
Welcome to the forums,
If it is a fresh install, then you should be using Ubuntu 22.04
Keyboard graphics and Wi-Fi problems are usually hardware related, please tell us the full make and model of your computer

@khsu17
Welcome to the forums,
Keyboard graphics and Wi-Fi problems are usually hardware related, please tell us the full make and model of your computer
laptop model : Asus ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733QS

I have installed and tested the kernel version 5.13.9 on Ubuntu 20.04.
In this case, the keyboard worked fine, but in Ubuntu 18.04 I still need to connect an additional keyboard.

As a second method, I changed the setting from "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" to Asus laptop, but the result was the same.

Finally, there was a way to add a module for the ROG model through searching.
" https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/hid-asus-rog/-/tree/main/ "
I don't know how to apply this method to my laptop.

Please help me to utilize my keyboard in Ubuntu 18.04! Wifi and keyboard are only available in higher versions of Ubuntu.

I have installed and tested the kernel version 5.13.9 on Ubuntu 20.04.
In this case, the keyboard worked fine, but in Ubuntu 18.04 I still need to connect an additional keyboard.
you are up against the usual battle between the latest hardware and linux drivers, it takes a while for the Kernel maintainers to back engineer drivers for the latest kit, the kernel in U 18.4 proberbly is not new enough.

22.04 should not be used by anyone other than those willing to test. It's not even in beta phase. It's still very much an alpha version, subject to breakages.

you are up against the usual battle between the latest hardware and linux drivers, it takes a while for the Kernel maintainers to back engineer drivers for the latest kit, the kernel in U 18.4 proberbly is not new enough.

That being said, is there no solution in 18.04?

The app mentioned in that link is now a paid app

It is a good app.....but..you do have to pay for it.

On your LM 18....click on menu...then type in software manager.

After it has loaded...type in: Mainline

Hopefully it will bring up Mainline...Kernel Update utility for Ubuntu based distributions.

Install it.

Open it

It will show what you already have installed, and what is actually running.

If the kernel you wish to run, is not already installed....click on it to highlight it and then click on Install (out on right hand side of window)

It is to be hoped that you have Timeshift installed.....Just in case something goes wrong.

Are you aware that LM 18 no longer receives security updates?....It had its end of life in April 2021

Why must you still use that instead of Updating to LM 20.3?

Hello @khsu17 ,
Welcome to the forum. Why must you use ubuntu 18.04? 20.04 has been out awhile and works well and will provide the kernel you need so why not upgrade to 20.04?
You can try UUKU tool but it only installs mainline kernel without any ubuntu patches.

Last edited:
UPDATE 2020-08: UKUU is no longer free for use. You need to pay $12 for a personal license

update to LM20.3....Do yourself a favour.

Is 18.04 compatible with 5.13 or higher kernels?

You should be able to install it. The mainline page I linked to has software you can use to test this out. It does all the heavy lifting for you.

Members online