This is Facebook's Answer to their Numerous Criticisms

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date

It's going to be a long time before Facebook ends.

It's going to be a long time before Facebook ends.

Not to get political, but I can see a scenario where FB's antics are going to lead to more regulation and censorship of the web. In response to that, I can see alternative internet protocols, such as Gemini, becoming more popular.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of love for Facebook either, besides the fact that I feel no need to get constant gratification for everything I say and do, it was just always a huge steaming pile of crap. The only reason I ever had an account was for a couple of groups I was in (gaming groups) and because I was an early adopter on the Oculus Rift. I finally got so fed up with them a few weeks ago that I packed up my Rift and deleted all of my Facebook accounts. It has been a great experience, I do enjoy online groups, but topic-based is so much better than just reading a bunch of crap from anyone you follow or ever happened to know. :)

I quit Facebook and other Facebook related platforms after Facebook kept banning even after I sent them my photo ID that they asked for.

I think its important for people to understand that they 'vote' with their wallets and with their accounts, its easy to criticize a company or a business, but the way to really get their attention is to stop shopping there or stop using the platform.
Companies like Facebook have shareholders and if these shareholders start seeing drops in usage or membership, even a small percentage change, the company will be forced to do something about it, or worry about the threat of a sell-off. This would be the best-case scenario, but it requires a lot of people to make the decision to shut their accounts off, and that is a hard thing to convince someone to do; I would love to see this happen, but I think it very unlikely.

I would love to see this happen, but I think it very unlikely.

To say it's very unlikely makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you'd love to see it happen, then find some way to make it happen.

The goal of Meta is to collect all your meta-data, on the more serious side, it's probably to take some heat off the Facebook brand name because of the scandals that have happened in the last years assosiated with the brand.

I'll be waiting for it to crash and burn, just like every other product they've created
One can but hope, mate. It's not down to product only, but marketing. Maybe they'll get it right -- I hope not -- this time. I was worried about "VR" until I saw how shite it was. Hardly the stuff of Star Trek, Ready Player One, or even Accel World (you should check it out, cool concept, AR and VR together). TBH, I'm relieved for now but I fear the right marketing could force VR on people. Brings me to your other point...
Not to get political, but I can see a scenario where FB's antics are going to lead to more regulation and censorship of the web.
This is part of what scares me. See, people are already getting their "news" from Twitter/FB. They are fed "facts" and just regurgitate them to others and fake news* / fake science* propagates like fcking cancer. And these companies revel in it. They push the trends, no matter how fcked up, and people under 30 lap it up as gospel while people over 30 who know better will jump on the bandwagon desperate for likes or marketing themselves as right-think progressives*, or even punting their book/product/videos for certain demographics*.
I'll leave on a sad note: If Technology is "connecting" us, why in all things sacred, do I (and a lot of people) feel more disconnected than ever!?

* Not to get too political either

Last edited:
The goal of Meta is to collect all your meta-data, on the more serious side, it's probably to take some heat off the Facebook brand name because of the scandals that have happened in the last years assosiated with the brand.
Lol, well said, and true. Rebranding will take off some heat.

Rebranding will take off some heat.

But those of us who are actually paying attention will continue to call FB out for it's smoke and mirrors. The Zuck hates nothing more than YouTubers exposing him and his company's corrupt business practices.

At some point we will all have to make a choice to protect our info ourselves or use FB and other platforms that mine your info for their own profit. I don't believe both will be possible. The social media is just to invasive and you will not be able to hide your personal info from them for long. I would never send F.B. my personal I.D. if they were to ask for that I would quit them in a flash. It's just not worth it to give them everything. But many people do. I think the old saying still holds true consumer beware! You have to protect yourself because as has been seen in recent testimony FB/Meta or which ever platform you may be using will not do that for you. Unfortunately the younger gens. don't get that. And that is why these platforms go after that group so aggressively.

Last edited:
At some point we will all have to make a choice to protect our info ourselves or use FB and other platforms that mine your info for their own profit. I don't believe both will be possible. The social media is just to invasive and you will not be able to hide your personal info from them for long. I would never send F.B. my personal I.D. if they were to ask for that I would quit them in a flash. It's just not worth it to give them everything. But many people do. I think the old saying still holds true consumer beware! You have to protect yourself because as has been seen in recent testimony FB/Meta or which ever platform you may be using will not do that for you. Unfortunately the younger gens. don't get that. And that is why these platforms go after that group so aggressively.

Months ago, DistroTube made a video about the Gemini internet protocol, and said at the very end "We need to move away from the modern web". The more Big Tech tries to control, censor, and advocate government regulation of the web, the more push is going to come to shove, and make the masses (at least the older ones at first) actually seek out alternative protocols. What I'd like to see is numerous companies and organizations developing a presence on these protocols in response to a growing demand for them. It'd be interesting to have these companies say "Follow us on these protocols" rather than "Follow us on these social media sites". If a growing number of web designers use those protocols to create replacements for sites on modern web (excluding social media sites), and start giving lectures about why people should be using their site because of how this protocol was designed, a number of the people in the audience will actually do so, and it will begin to show how many people are moving away from the web.

As far as the younger generations being hooked on FB and other social media sites (mostly due to peer pressure and wanting to fit in), this will only end when a growing number of new parents make a decision to teach their children to only be independent thinkers. Its disgusting to see so many of these parents teaching their children to blindly follow group-think or do, think, or repeat whatever a perceived "authority figure" tells them, and all because their parents and the rest of their ancestors were taught the same thing as a child. Thankfully, after completing a quick search on DDG, I instantly found numerous parenting articles about teaching independent thinking skills to children, and I imagine they're beginning to have an influence. Hopefully this will lead to a parenting trend that eventually becomes the norm, especially when more parents actively engage in unschooling their children by finding someone who has a background in certain field and is willing to teach them the skills they've acquired.

Totally agree, although most people today will trade freedom (and safety/privacy) for convenience. Look no further than the personal computer. People willingly allow companies to track them because they are too lazy to learn an alternative software. And the internet, well, that's the ultimate exploitation. Give Google your soul, Google acts as an "Internet Passport" that saves you creating an account with everyone. Just use your Google account and keep feeding them analytics info. Most people don't fully appreciate the severity of the situation, even when they know what they are doing because their risk assessment skills are near-zero or they are philosophically "pragmatists" (they hide behind a thin explanation of "my conscious choice" because they've given up, lost the battle, or been/become too lazy, etc., and they do this to resolve their own cognitive dissonance).

My hypotheses on why the youth don't care is, well, it's either just sign of times of brilliant social engineering, or a combo. See they grew up mostly or completely in a social media era. Their culture is an online one. Not like ours. Our online culture was IRC, forums, and, for some of the older folk here, mailing lists. Our culture was connected and all, but it wasn't in our pockets. Moreover, we used the web back when anonymity was a norm. But as more and more "everyday folk" began using it, so the world grew smaller and the edges of the map got coloured in. Them kids grew up in a world sans much anonymity and cozza that and cozza each big info leak or massive scandal having no perceptable long-term effects, well, it went from "that's bad" to plain ol' uneventful. Basically, they got the ultimate vaccines: anesthetisation. Now running parallel to this all is how tech went from compartmentalized to integrated in our lives. For most of us over 30, the WWW is still a compartment of our lives; there's that and the real world with jobs, responsibilities, asshat bosses, and dreams of becoming a author (projecting much?). For the younger gen, the WWW is part of (integrated) into reality. That's why everyone gets "triggered" and why "cancel culture" exists (I'm not gonna discuss these because it could get political, just examples to illustrate how seriously they take the world online). And that's the problem. The problem is we were the ones who armed them with the tech, i.e. smartphones, to actually enable them. And pow! Now we got a generation who like to advertise their private lives (yes, dichotomy noted) online. And that's it. We helped Big Tech carve this generation of easily influeced youths who can't think for themselves and need a group to belong to just to make them feel like they have an identity.

People criticize my plans to homeschool my kids. Well, while theirs are mainlining social media through the needle of their smartphones while mine are building/writing/drawing stuff, playing music, questioning the world, and/or just enjoying nature (what'll be left of it T_T that is), then they can come back to me.

Totally agree, although most people today will trade freedom (and safety/privacy) for convenience. Look no further than the personal computer. People willingly allow companies to track them because they are too lazy to learn an alternative software. And the internet, well, that's the ultimate exploitation. Give Google your soul, Google acts as an "Internet Passport" that saves you creating an account with everyone. Just use your Google account and keep feeding them analytics info. Most people don't fully appreciate the severity of the situation, even when they know what they are doing because their risk assessment skills are near-zero or they are philosophically "pragmatists" (they hide behind a thin explanation of "my conscious choice" because they've given up, lost the battle, or been/become too lazy, etc., and they do this to resolve their own cognitive dissonance).

My hypotheses on why the youth don't care is, well, it's either just sign of times of brilliant social engineering, or a combo. See they grew up mostly or completely in a social media era. Their culture is an online one. Not like ours. Our online culture was IRC, forums, and, for some of the older folk here, mailing lists. Our culture was connected and all, but it wasn't in our pockets. Moreover, we used the web back when anonymity was a norm. But as more and more "everyday folk" began using it, so the world grew smaller and the edges of the map got coloured in. Them kids grew up in a world sans much anonymity and cozza that and cozza each big info leak or massive scandal having no perceptable long-term effects, well, it went from "that's bad" to plain ol' uneventful. Basically, they got the ultimate vaccines: anesthetisation. Now running parallel to this all is how tech went from compartmentalized to integrated in our lives. For most of us over 30, the WWW is still a compartment of our lives; there's that and the real world with jobs, responsibilities, asshat bosses, and dreams of becoming a author (projecting much?). For the younger gen, the WWW is part of (integrated) into reality. That's why everyone gets "triggered" and why "cancel culture" exists (I'm not gonna discuss these because it could get political, just examples to illustrate how seriously they take the world online). And that's the problem. The problem is we were the ones who armed them with the tech, i.e. smartphones, to actually enable them. And pow! Now we got a generation who like to advertise their private lives (yes, dichotomy noted) online. And that's it. We helped Big Tech carve this generation of easily influeced youths who can't think for themselves and need a group to belong to just to make them feel like they have an identity.

People criticize my plans to homeschool my kids. Well, while theirs are mainlining social media through the needle of their smartphones while mine are building/writing/drawing stuff, playing music, questioning the world, and/or just enjoying nature (what'll be left of it T_T that is), then they can come back to me.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm glad to say there's hope. I found some articles when typing this, and they all talk about the push back against this toxic culture that Big Tech has created.
Lets keep this ball rolling

https://www.huckmag.com/perspectives/reportage-2/why-more-young-people-are-ditching-their-smartphones/ said:
But naturally, there are drawbacks to being without a smartphone in 2021. It’s hard to tear yourself away from addictive apps, but it’s even harder to navigate the 21st century without constant access to things like Google Maps, Uber, or WhatsApp.
This is very cleverly socially-engineered dependence. We have a technology, the world changes to utilise it, the world changes so we depend on it. The biggest thing for me is my banking app. It's the 2FA and the fact that paying the monthly bills is much more convenient than on the Web UI (which uses 2FA, making it redundant). And who drives these changes? *cough* Big *cough* Tech *cough*.

https://www.huckmag.com/perspectives/reportage-2/why-more-young-people-are-ditching-their-smartphones/ said:
Both Eden and Mateo admit that the only real drawback, for them, is not being able to take photos as easily.
Probably the most deviously brilliant piece of behavioral engineering in the history of tech. My first camera phone was a 2000s slider "feature phone" as they are now called. I took photos of every cloud formation, plant, insect, and landscape I saw. Went nuts with it.

...The main things I do on my phone are listening to music, tinkering, WhatsApp, and browsing the web. I only use it in the latter case because sometimes it really is easier to go to bed early and finish up any incomplete tasks online (like pricing things, looking up info, etc.), then doze off. I need WhatsApp since it saves me a ton of money in calls and I like tinkering (I just installed the latest versio of Termux from F-Droid coz my Playstore one was broken, turns out they moved away from Google). But there's one thing I honestly think I could not live without: portable music. I've been through walkmans discmans, mp3 players, and now smartphones. I love music from all genres and having internet on my phone means access to both my local archive and the entire internet of playlists. I could never go back to an mp3 player coz my phone offers me far more advanced use through a very "manual" and "old-fashioned" approach; Total Commander, which is what I use for music (and for managing my entire phone) and MPV for music videos. I could lose the internet, pain as it may be, since I'm not a social media user and I could live without the convenience. I could quit WhatsApp if the price of minutes dropped drastically, about down to 5% of that they are. In fact I'd welcome the change since the VOIP latency on WhatsApp is sometimes unbearable. The things I'd really need would be my banking app and my music. So, really, it's my banking app (and all the online stuff like prepaid water/electricity) that would ultimately kill it for me so far as ditching my phone goes, and that's of course out of my hands. IOW, society has made it impossible for me.

I quit Facebook and other Facebook related platforms after Facebook kept banning even after I sent them my photo ID that they asked for.
Yeah we have to give our photo ID, Date of birth, Full name, email address just to create an account on a degenerate platform. But still they collect so much data about their users and sell them to third party advertisement companies

Members online

Latest posts