This shows up ONLY SOMETIMES when i boot up Pop OS 21.04 (video)

dimiidk

Reaction score
Credits
I did post a thread about this a while back, but i removed the swap file, because i thought maybe that was the problem even tho it was not, and this time i have footage of what SOMETIMES happens when booting up...

P.S. fast boot and secure boot are off, storage devices are set to AHCI in BIOS, all entries in fstab are correct.

Not easy to see .

Can you get output from the following command:

Code:
sudo journalctl -b -p err  
it should only show  errors in boot log

if you can see that outputs something then with a bit a fine tuning maybe we can get output of issue

Screenshot from 2021-07-02 21-13-37.png

can it be a graphics related issue, i have intel iGPU and nvidia discrete GPU?

ok now narrow down for today between time. BTw you don't need sudo

eg
$ journalctl -b -p err --since=20:00 --until=20:15

could be but i can't read nothing from your image ; lets narrow down output see my last post; next we will output to a text file you can copy and paste instead of image

try this :

Code:
$ journalctl -b -p err --since=20:00 --until=20:20 > /home/$USER/Desktop/error.txt 
//time depends on your time zone

Last edited:
Back when i used ubuntu i used to get these errors, they dissapeared at one point but came back a week after...

ok its simple when you have seen the error; then that error will be in logs and so when that happens use my command ! Someone cleverer than me can probably come up with some filter to go through logs.

When i turned on my laptop the error showed up and right after i rebooted it i ran your command, so these logs are probably from when the error happened

Back when i used ubuntu i used to get these errors, they dissapeared at one point but came back a week after...
if i was being flippant i would say that sounds more like a poltergeist. My internet here is kill me its worse than when i was sub-sahara ; we are on a Vodafone dongle; until Sky visits Monday. You can try out my command and see if you get a textfile on your Desktop

but i remember the very first time i tried ubuntu i got that error and after that i installed the nvidia drivers and the errors went away, and about 2 months after i reformatted ubuntu because i wanted a fresh install, but installing the nvidia drivers didn't help that time...So i am not sure but my conclusion is that the graphics are making these problems happen.

could be ; at some point getting data via journalctl would help confirm it. So for instance i get backlight issues coming up in logs - i'm not worried about that ,actually re-assured that if i wanted to i can get the info .

two things i've always avoided with Linux- I always buy i H.P printer so i never get printer problems. I just go for on board graphics ; so far no problems

You have to see things from our view.the video and image you posted you have to rule out at least for me,I can't see anything.we need actual error text output to analyse.the approach I,ve shown with commands will give us that .it will be easier to run the command the next time you get the boot problem.or if you have the exact date the problem occured we could add the date to command so as to output data for only that day.am I right in seeing 17-06-2022

Last edited:
i fixed it....i do not know how it worked this time but it did...anyways i went into "additional drivers" and just installed an older driver, yeah it is an OLDER driver but it does do the job so i'm happy :D

Members online