This will be a short one...I Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, as you know, some of us here could talk under water with a mouth full of wet cement.....and still manage to fill up a few pages. ....probably 'discussing' the merits or otherwise of a particular type of cement....whether it is of the quick set variety or not....
Aussies have been known to argue/debate about two flies crawling up the wall....do they in fact 'crawl' ?...or are they walking?.....which one will reach the top first....and other trivialities.....have been kniwn to consume quite a bit of time....and usually accompanied by a beer or two....or three...depending on that rate of progress of the flies...

Last edited:

usually accompanied by a beer or two....or three.
For Christ’s sake, don't get talking about beer, or we will need a bigger web server.

Sorry, Rob...couldn't resist

1678736385645.png

Speaking of cement, they think they finally understand what's going on with Roman concrete.

For comparison, our concrete buildings are expected to last a hundred years, give or take a few decades.

Roman concrete is still fine after 2000 years and is somehow stronger underwater.

Now, I can't explain the chemistry (mostly 'cause I haven't looked it up) but I guess it has to do with what we previously considered flaws - the occlusions left by what we considered an impurity (limestone). It turns out it was quicklime and those holes left behind mean that the cement has a place to fall into instead of crumbling.

Something like that, at any rate... The papers and announcements were just made recently. I'll understand it better when some smart person explains it in a documentary, or maybe a TED talk.

We have landed and you can unbuckle your seatbelts and begin to gather your luggage.

Thank you for flying Air Wizard and we hope to see you again soon.
So... how many passengers can you carry on your broom, Wiz?

Aah, Paul, Paul, Paul, Paul, Paul

Keep up with the program

It's a flying carpet.

LWVrSPg.jpg

4 passengers

Wiz
Avagudweegend

So... how many passengers can you carry on your broom, Wiz?

Hmm... Witches ride brooms. Wizards ride dragons (or other nifty things, such as a carpet).

I am not sure why there's a difference. I've consumed a lot of fantasy (which should NOT be in the science fiction section) and the above is true in all sorts of cases. Witches, if they fly at all, use a broom.

It's not always true, but it sure seems to be that was more often than not - and by wide margins.

Though I did read one weird book where Merlin was (as was reality) an engine in a fighter plane and that magic helped the dude throughout the Battle of Britain. Still, it was not a broom.

I once told a rather sticky beaking woman to 'get back on her broomstick and fly away.

I haven't seen her since !!

I once told a rather sticky beaking woman to 'get back on her broomstick and fly away.

LOL I have said similar, most recently to a buddy's long-term girlfriend. We do not get along, her and I. No, we do not. I get along just fine with almost everyone, so I'm pretty sure it's a her thing.

When I retired and moved here, I used to party pretty heavily with him. We'd be mostly useless for days. She entered the picture and that was (almost) the end of that. She doesn't want him 'gone for days at a time'. She pretty much hates me and I antagonize her for my own amusement. If she gives me too much trouble, I'll keep him occupied enough so that she doesn't see 'em for a week. Well, probably not - but maybe... I've got too much to do lately to party like that. I pretty much suck at retiring.

I once told a rather sticky beaking woman to 'get back on her broomstick and fly away
Be afraid, be very afraid ...
This is not a joke,
I married a Pendle witch [borne near Sabden under Pendle Hill], when we moved to our first house, I bought her a traditional Birch broomstick, which was mounted on the wall above the fire Harth, well It's now nearly 50 years on, and after many moves, the same broomstick still adorns one wall in our house,

this is a joke.
My wife came into the lounge, complaining of splinters in her hands, "I need a new broom" she said
"Why can't you use the bus like everyone else" I said.

This actually happened,
we were on holiday on the Isle of wight, She was walking around a gift shop, when she came out, I said "I didn't know your sisters were coming down", "what do you mean" she said, "we have seen their transport parked up" I said, our daughter [aged about 6] confirmed this, "where" she said, so we told her to turn around, leaning against the wall of the next door shop was a row of 5 new broomsticks.

Last edited:
I do hope 1612 doesn't visit itself upon us, anytime soon

Keep up with the program

It's a flying carpet.

LWVrSPg.jpg

4 passengers

Wiz
Avagudweegend
Ok, I guess, then harry and company are wrong? I don't see any antennas on that ride, so you must be VFR Only? What category is it registered in, Utility, or Homebuilt?:p What do you squawk, 1200?

So, one crew member and 4 passengers? Oh, and what is the top speed on that bad boy? Please tell me it is mach 1 or higher!:D You do know that you're not (street??) legal without seat belts, don't you?

Meh... We live in the US. We have some of the worst drivers in advanced countries. I dunno how many of 'em are drunk, but that'd at least explain some of the driving I've seen.

I used to drive drunk when I was younger. I never got caught and never bumped into anything. However, I gave that up a long time ago. It was considered normal back then. The penalty wasn't even stiff. It was like a weekend in jail, if that. I don't even think they took your license for the first offense.

Which is how we ended up with MADD...

I do enjoy a glass of wine or three, but tend to not really get all that inebriated.
Back many years ago I was in school at Great Lakes NTC. While there I met a very beautiful young lady. We became very close, and when she graduated from nursing school and went home to Newport Rhode Island, we kept in touch. She worked as an emergency room nurse, at a local hospital. When I graduated, I was stationed on a ship in Newport. We got back together, and I considered asking her to marry me. I departed on a 6 month cruise to the med in 1973, and during that time we both wrote every couple days. I decided, after 3 months of the cruise, to ask her. About 5 months into the cruise, her letters suddenly stopped. I wrote to her parents, whom I new quite well, and got no reply either. As you can imagine, I was quite upset, but helpless to find out what was wrong, from thousands of miles away. When we got back, I went to her apartment to talk about it, and a strange woman answered the door. She had been living there 2 months and had no idea where my friend was. I went to her parents house, and they told me that she was walking home from work one evening, and a drunk driver went up onto the sidewalk and ran over her, and back onto the road and just kept on driving. They dId not know how to tell me in a letter. She was dead on arrival at the hospital where she worked, which was only 3 blocks away!!!!!!!!!!! There was a witness who got the license of the car. The driver, a RICH 65 year old alcoholic, lost his license for a year. No fine, no jail time, and he went back to court 2 weeks later and got his license back, after killing someone on his fifth dui!!!! It took a long time to deal with that, and I still have no love for drunk drivers. I can only imagine how her friends at the emergency room felt when they saw her come in. I still have her picture, and explained to my wife what happened.
So, yeah, the dui laws are much better now, although you still hear of mutiple offenders crying about prison time after their 5th offense.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that we got extended on that cruise due to the Yom Kippor war, so it was a 7 month cruise by the time we finally got back.

I also had a front row seat, as an EMT, to the carnage that drunk drivers cause every day. They seem to be the only ones that don't get hurt, well, at least most of the time. I could tell you some stories that would frizz your hair and turn it gray.:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:

Keep up with the program

It's a flying carpet.

LWVrSPg.jpg

4 passengers

Wiz
Avagudweegend
I guess you save on fuel that way, although thunder storms would be something you would want to avoid. Nyuk, nyuk. What about clear air turbulence, or microbursts? Open cockpit Flying at it's best. I took a ride on a "Breezy" at Oshkosh back in 83. That was a bus seat behind the pilot, out in the open, no cockpit at all!! The engine, a pusher configuration, was right behind me. What a gas that was!! Sure had a good view of everything.

So, yeah, the dui laws are much better now, although you still hear of mutiple offenders crying about prison time after their 5th offense.

Yeah, you'll do time for DUI now. That's a good thing. I'm so grateful that I never hurt anyone, including myself. It wasn't even really frowned upon when I was that age. The cops would just send you home. The concept of a designated driver wasn't really a thing. Bars didn't care and would serve you until you passed out. Heck, I recall a bouncer helping me get into my car so that I could drive home.

We just didn't think twice about it. It was just something you did, especially if you didn't live downtown in an urban area. Safety wasn't a big concern. Not only were there no laws about wearing your seat belt, some of us still drove cars that didn't even come equipped with seat belts.

Witches, if they fly at all, use a broom.

It's not always true, but it sure seems to be that was more often than not - and by wide margins.
Baba Yaga used her cooking pot to fly. My grandpa scared the holly living $h!t out of me telling the storys.

Baba Yaga used her cooking pot to fly. My grandpa scared the holly living $h!t out of me telling the storys.

Yup. There are exceptions. I'm not sure when/why they concluded that they rode brooms, but it's often the case that they do. I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online