Thunderbird problems- Mint 18.0

keith 1955

Reaction score
Credits
Just installed Mint 18.0 on my Tower PC, Because of its spec this was recommended by members of this site and pleased with the outcome.
Set up Thunderbird as my client, had to add Sent Folder but mail not going into folder after sending.
Google search shows this seems to be a recognized problem with Thunderbird, Mozilla i read not supporting this anymore. tried various fixes.
This will be my primary machine for sending emails i only need a simple client, no calendars sync etc. My primary Email is a Gmail account. Anyone ideas of alternative to Thunderbird.
Thank you.

Tell us a little about how you set Thunderbird up.

Does Thunderbird "link" to Gmail....so that whatever emails are received in gmail are then automatically received in Thunderbird ?.....If so then whichever email folders are present in gmail will also be present in Thunderbird.

Thunderbird usually works great, so I suspect you may have just had some kind of hiccup in setting it up. There are special steps on Gmail that you must do in order for Thunderbird to work with them... first off choosing whether to use IMAP or POP mail. I no longer use Thunderbird and Gmail together, and I'm not up to date with all the steps that are needed to make them work.

In your Thunderbird layout, if it is like mine, there is a small "arrow" icon next to "Inbox".... and if you click that, it expands out to show folders for "Drafts, Sent, and Trash." Thunderbird creates these folders automatically, and that may be where your Sent mail went, if you created a different folder in a different place (like a primary folder, equal to Inbox, under your user account). You should not have had to create the Sent folder yourself.

But... if you use Gmail, why use Thunderbird at all? Just use Firefox or any browser to access your Gmail.

Cheers

Thank you all for your replies.
I set up Thunderbird with pop3 and yes it worked but googled how to add folder which didn't work.
Sent emails were going to local folder
So deleted account started again, this time clicked on my Gmail account name and a drop down box came with add folder...added sent folder and this works fine.
Biggest problem i now have is transferring folders in Outlook 2010 to Thunderbird ,several Folders with emails from over the years.
Copied these folders to a USB drive but not recognized in Thunderbird.
Still have Windows on my computer with Mint 18. on my EX HDD.
Any ideas please!!

Yes i use Gmail but i don't like the Gmail site its self, neither does the wife who will be on this more than me.

Thank you.

(Note :Thunderbird still has an active software development team and still being supported by Mozilla, but this could change if funds dry up. (As of Feb. 2019) )

Hi Condobloke.
Read this information earlier but!! Followed directions but it couldn't read anything just said no files.
At the moment i have windows 7 installed on my computer. Mint 18.0 is on an EX HDD i can only boot one or the other at a time or thats what i think anyway.
If you can tell me more i would be grateful.

I got a problem month or so ago with thunderbird - i'm sure at that time some bug was mention ? I thought it a good time to look at alternatives. Now I have claws mail installed which gives access to my (2 step verification) g mail account. https://www.claws-mail.org/ I put blogofilter plugin from https://www.claws-mail.org/plugins.php?section=downloads

then train unwanted email as "ham" or "spam" i see no reason to go back to thunderbird

I'm on slackware , would have thought its in the Mint repo though.

Members online

No members online now.