Timeshift Restore has borked my permissions; Error: some files/attrs were not transferred (code 23)

zPuppy

Reaction score
Credits
Hiya Guys

I have carried out Timeshift backs previously without issue (I believe) however after a recent backup I found strange things occuring/not occuring. I noticed initially after transferring images from my camera to the laptop, they transferred and could be viewed however when I went to attach them to an email this failed, and a prompt advised that the files were 0kb. Next I made changes to my CherryTree note taking app, and upon re-opening no changes had been made. I also experienced issues with my SuperProductivity backup (to DropBox) failing.

I did the Timeshift backup again and stalked the backup code that flashed by on screen with my phone camera. I noticed the following;

Error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(.........
I have flapped about in var/ and other locations and it seems to me as though the permissions for some softwares are Owner: Root, Group: Root, and with the Group denied access to read/write. So, firstly, is this causing the bizarre issues I have experienced since the restore?

Secondly, is there a way of overcoming/restoring these issues please.
I guess finally, I have since come across other reports of Timeshift backups and I am considering Clonezilla as a backup tool, so would this be recommended, or am I jumping ship too early.

Many Thanks

Timeshift uses rsync to complete its task unless your system is BTRFS - Error 23 is defined as a "partial transfer" and might be caused by filesystem incompatibilities, such as different character sets or access control lists. Might want to try and cleanup your temporary cache files
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean
and try again
Personally I do not use any backup tools, - any important stuff I want to keep is kept on some type of external storage

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks Lord Blotar, so in your option it seems as though the backup file should be complete, yet the restore only managed 'partial transfer' hence the issues? I will try your suggestion and provide an update hopefully shortly...

0cd7RxV.gif

You rang?

or am I jumping ship too early.

Likely. :)

G'day @zPuppy
  1. What Linux Distro are you using, and version, eg Ubuntu 22.04, Linux Mint 21.1, Fedora 37 ?
  2. What version of Timeshift is involved - entry screen, top right, hamburger menu, About ?
  3. Your Thread title says "Timeshift Restore has borked my permissions;" did you actually Restore and why was that needed?
  4. I did the Timeshift backup again and stalked the backup code that flashed by on screen with my phone camera.
    - are you able to show us any of that?
  5. Within /var/log/timeshift/ there may be a number of files that look similar to 2023-01-20_14-16-14_gui.log - those date-time stamps match what you see in the Timeshift screen that shows your snapshots. Have you looked at one or more that apply to when the problems occurred (you could search for Error)?
  6. Can you give us the content of /etc/timeshift/timeshift.json please?

If you can gives us the answers, numbered, to those 6 questions that would be good.

Clonezilla is a good tool, but it takes longer and uses more space.

I have Timeshift on all of my 83 Distros.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online