Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

captain-sensible

Credits
So I opened my eyes and noticed that TimeShift gives you an advanced options menu to pick and choose your poison your grub options.
So this time, I unticked everything in that menu, and performed a restore on a perfectly working 20.04 Kubuntu system, restoring it to 21.04 Ubuntu.
This time I got successfully to the grub screen, but the Ubuntu entry let me to a black screen with an obscure error message that I failed to take a pic of.
@Shmu26 so whats the current status of your PC ? have you got another thread somewhere , thats a general fix not specifically timeshift ? I previously re-installed grub on endeavourOS from a usb

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
& see if you can take a pic of that screen next time it occurs.

Cheers :)

Wizard

Shmu26

Credits
@Shmu26 so whats the current status of your PC ? have you got another thread somewhere , thats a general fix not specifically timeshift ? I previously re-installed grub on endeavourOS from a usb
Still messing around with it. I got to the point where I could boot into Ubuntu 21.04 recovery mode.
I couldn't boot into Ubuntu normally because it said I needed to load the kernel first.

Shmu26

Credits
Still messing around with it. I got to the point where I could boot into Ubuntu 21.04 recovery mode.
I couldn't boot into Ubuntu normally because it said I needed to load the kernel first.
Any ideas how to repair it if I can get into recovery mode or tty?
The Ubuntu partition looks like this:
2021-08-13_12-52.png

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day Shmu, does that mean you have made progress, or are still in need of assistance?

Wiz

Shmu26

Credits
G'day Shmu, does that mean you have made progress, or are still in need of assistance?

Wiz
No need of assistance right now, thanks. I got to where I wanted to be.
But maybe you could explain to me the option in Timeshift restore for updating initramfs. What is it and when would I want to use it?

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
No need of assistance right now, thanks. I got to where I wanted to be.
Excellent news. :)

But maybe you could explain to me the option in Timeshift restore for updating initramfs. What is it and when would I want to use it?
Briefly, typically, it is recommended for use if the first attempt to restore a snapshot fails. I will try to give you some more info here next day or two, have to leave for my Sunday evening shortly.

Cheers

Wiz

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online