Today's article has you changing ownership of files and folders.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a skill every Linux user should have handy, so it seemed like a good article to cover and to subject to touch on.

This doesn't go into 'advanced' permissions, just ownership users and groups.

I do love me some feedback.

In the part about not always being the owner, you could maybe provide some examples. Maybe it's just me, but the way you wrote it, doesn't make the meaning clear. Like, how files in a www directory are owned by users who create them, but group ownership allows group memberships to modify.

Thanks!

I'll have to mull it over and get back to it. It's often difficult to not assume knowledge. I just sorta assume people will understand enough to understand the point I'm trying to get across.

I, quite intentionally, avoid making it 'technical writing'. I write as though it's a blog, not a site for formal education. So, that's less verbose and things like this get overlooked by me - as I just assume they already have enough knowledge to understand.

Alas, it's hotter than it should be and I'm now a few beers deep. So, I won't be doing any editing tonight.

Just curious, have you done NFS sharing?

I've followed a tutorial a couple of times and set up NFS - but haven't really used it except to test it out and play with it. I'm pretty sure it's still configured on one of my devices.

Members online