Today's article has you changing your DNS settings in Lubuntu...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
There's no Lubuntu sub-forum, so into Ubuntu it goes... It's a handy guide that'll absolutely work for other distros with the directions.

I want to say I think it's dealt with by 'network-manager' and that a number of distros use it, but don't quote me on that - but you can quote me remarking that it'll work in a number of distros/desktop environments.

Feedback is awesome.

(The idiot behind the scenes forgot to hit the schedule button. Me... I'm the idiot behind the scenes.)

Very well-written.
1) Typo: "not far vrom the clock" in the paragraph entitled: Change Your DNS Servers:
2) You say "If you’re still using IPv4 then you use that tab..." Maybe you could mention how to check? perhaps ifconfig?
3) "Retired mathematician"? I'm a retired astrophysicist. Lots of overlap in interests no doubt. :)
A

Nice and yes. I'll go over it and fix those in the morning. I'm exhausted.

ifconfig is deprecated, so I'll have to suggest something else. It's worth mentioning - though I think it might be in an article mentioned/linked. Again, I'll check in the morning.

And, even better, I'm an *applied* maths grad. So, physics is a definite interest - but I've not kept up with the latest and greatest as well as I'd have liked.

from my limited understanding and memory, dns maps an ip address to a domain. Now i don't know if you have covered this , but there is a mapping of IP address to domains that can be served from the web server running locally. I use it for convenient access to landing page of webs on my apache server for web dev. So in /etc/hosts I have:

Code:
127.0.0.4 appstarter.com

writing in my web browser address bar the ip address 127.0.0.4 bring up the landing page for index.php in a directory called appstarter.com located: /srv/http

There is some complementary config in files virtual host as well in httpd

This method works OK if you have a xWindows GUI.
But if you only have a CLI....

nmcli conn modify eno1 ipv4.dns '8.8.8.8,9.9.9.9'

Obviously the connection name and the IPs of your DNS servers will vary.

Last edited:
For those of us that do not use Network Manager, you can set DNS servers in:

/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
I use NextDNS so mine looks like this:
Code:
[Resolve]
DNS=45.90.28.0#5fae9f.dns1.nextdns.io
DNS=2a07:a8c0::#5fae9f.dns1.nextdns.io
DNS=45.90.30.0#5fae9f.dns2.nextdns.io
DNS=2a07:a8c1::#5fae9f.dns2.nextdns.io
DNSOverTLS=yes

/etc/hosts

Not yet - but planned. I've been meaning to do that article for a while but I've yet to figure out how to write it. It'll come to me eventually.

/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
I wonder if it's really "resolved"? Sorry couldn't resist.
Usually it's resolv.conf, but it may be different in other distro's?

Also if someone 'IS' using network manager or even networkd, your resolv.conf
can get over-written every reboot.

In the old ifcfg-ethX scheme.. you could add a line like...

PEERDNS=no
DNS1=ip-address
DNS2=ip-address

That prevented this from happening.

I'll suggest adding an entry on Lubuntu's discourse with a summary maybe of the article then link to your web site article.

It'll maybe allow more people to find it, esp. Lubuntu users who may search our site? Currently I only see VPN type DNS queries (and nothing in the manual if I search DNS)..

It's up to you, this response could be influenced by how I deal with such articles in UWN (summary & point to source), and maybe you're worried about it being seen as self-promotion? in which case I can do it (on request), but I see it as of benefit to our [Lubuntu] users :)

My concern is that I'd appear to be a spammer/promoting myself.

I have permission to post my content here, which started off a bit timid.

If it's not in the documentation (I never check), it'd be awesome if you shared it. Once the ice is broken, I'd probably be more comfortable sharing Lubuntu-specific content. Well, I guess this is more 'network-manager' specific, but the idea is sound!

What I like about posting here is the feedback - and corrections offered. I don't normally have all that many mistakes, but it's great to have folks point 'em out when I do. As I'm fond of saying, "feedback makes the articles better'. And, it truly does. (I don't always act on it, unless it's a mistake. I sometimes leave verbiage the way it was 'cause I meant it how I wrote it.) Still, I get tons of constructive criticism.

It's like that old-ish saying... "If you don't know what you're doing, just post on a forum how you plan on doing something and you'll get 100 responses telling you the right way to do it."

EDIT: Also, note that the content is permissively licensed. Y'all could quote it word for word in the documentation (and I'd forgive/forget the attribution requirement). I do keep meaning to look to see if the documentation team needs some help.

> My concern is that I'd appear to be a spammer/promoting myself.

If you were a spammer or someone into self-promotion on the Lubuntu discourse, it'd be me that deals with it... so I would not worry about that - and I don't believe anything you'd ever consider posting would concern me from what I know of you.

The most I can see myself doing is minor edits, move & what I occasionally do with posts (where I felt it's necessary), but I keep that right for anything posted to the site (& others too).

Yeah.. to avoid the self-promotion concern which had occurred to me as well, I've wondered about adding a wiki (page editable by most of us) in the documentation section with various Lubuntu links... ie. rather than an entry per post, a link of entries with brief summary .. but I tend to like lists

Leave it with me a little... To do what I was considering I'd like 2-3 items (not just one - DNS) so I'll give it some thought & maybe do a few searches.. and it may appear in my list idea instead.

> Y'all could quote it word for word in the documentation (and I'd forgive/forget the attribution requirement)

That's not me.. I started my Ubuntu contributions in Ubuntu News so the moment I quote I hear "original content" whispered in my ear, and so expect I'll need to justify every quote..

("whispered"? - the 'whisper' was always via IRC or a question via google-docs; but I think my mind pictures a teacher coming up from behind like I'm back in school in the 70s maybe)

Leave it with me a little...

That's a good summary. It's better than I'd have done. Thanks!

It's quite late here (for this old man), so I'm fading fast.

(Ir seems I failed to hit the send button.)

That's a good summary. It's better than I'd have done. Thanks!
I've been writing summaries for UWN since mid-2015, so I've had quite a bit of practice. It's a voice I hope is useful to readers, ie. hopefully enough detail to know if they will benefit from reading the article, but not enough that they won't click the link..

I left off the author name (you!) in it we always include in UWN, but that can always be added later when it's an actual list with multiple entries.

I've been writing summaries for UWN since mid-2015, so I've had quite a bit of practice.

I did some technical writing back in the day, from mathematics journals to RFPs. I manage. With the site, I make it a point to not sound overly technical - as I want it to be inviting and approachable.

But, at the end of the day, I'm pretty much just smashing the keyboard and hoping something useful comes out the other end. I must be doing something right, 'cause people keep coming back and I get a ton (for my expectations) of traffic. The good news is that I've learned a lot while doing so and I do love me some learning!

You mentioned ""Google. Like them or not,".....are there any real, sound, factual pieces of information that say Google uses their free DNS servers to gather information about the users of such services?

and....here are the two terminal commands to tell if using ipv4 or ipv6

Which line etc tells that info ?

brian@brian-desktop:~$ ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether d0:50:99:9e:c1:3c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.102/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute enp0s31f6
valid_lft 85239sec preferred_lft 85239sec
inet6 fe80::5d5c:6b0e:ac56:c8ac/64 scope link noprefixroute

brian@brian-desktop:~$ ifconfig
enp0s31f6: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.102 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::5d5c:6b0e:ac56:c8ac prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether d0:50:99:9e:c1:3c txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 10121 bytes 9994260 (9.9 MB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 6985 bytes 909027 (909.0 KB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device interrupt 16 memory 0xdf100000-df120000

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 600 bytes 57589 (57.5 KB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 600 bytes 57589 (57.5 KB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

You mentioned ""Google. Like them or not,".....are there any real, sound, factual pieces of information that say Google uses their free DNS servers to gather information about the users of such services?

Not that I know of. If they did, it'd probably be to further compartmentalize it.

and....here are the two terminal commands to tell if using ipv4 or ipv6

I just remembered that I wrote this:

Good Answer. Clear and to the point.

Members online