Today's article has you finding out which desktop environment you're using...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Oddly, it was a timely article - because I just responded to someone with this very question at just about the time the article would have been published. A fortuitous coincidence indeed!

Anyhow, all sorts of people don't know what DE they're using - 'cause they're new and don't know the lingo or just aren't sure what they're doing.

Feedback is awesome.

Oddly, it was a timely article - because I just responded to someone with this very question at just about the time the article would have been published. A fortuitous coincidence indeed!

Anyhow, all sorts of people don't know what DE they're using - 'cause they're new and don't know the lingo or just aren't sure what they're doing.

Feedback is awesome.
neofetch is cool i have mine to run in the .bashrc file so ev time i open terminal neofetch comes up with OS logo

neofetch or screenfetch didn't work for me on PCLinuxOS I had to use the echo commands.

I'm laying odds that neofetch or screenfetch isn't installed by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
neofetch or screenfetch worked for me on PCLinuxOS I had to use the echo commands.

I'm laying odds that neofetch or screenfetch isn't installed by default.
no you usually have to install screenfetch or neofetch as it doesnt ussuallly come default.

There is also another alternative ive tried called CPU-X for linux, the equivelanet to windows CPU-Z tool. It looks pretty good

Heres my neofetch on terminal. (my terminal emunlator is terminology) with neo matrix background lol on my pi 400
neofetch.jpg

For a long time I've been using an alias named "sysinfo" for that and I've forgotten which package I'm using, so I have to open bashrc to see what the command was. :lol: Ah, it's "screenfetch -n" - shows system info without any logos bc I hate that ugly thing.
Not that I need it much, though - know exactly what's in my computer regarding hardware and the most important stuff regarding software and settings. But it makes it easier to be able to paste that info on pages where it's needed - such as github when reporting bugs.

I7XUaLK.png

How about inxi?

Code:
[chris@fedora ~]$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: fedora Kernel: 5.15.13-200.fc35.x86_64 x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: MATE 1.26.0 Distro: Fedora release 35 (Thirty Five)

Cheers

Wiz

I could add that one. I find inxi installed by default in a few places now, so it seems worth adding.

Good point, @wizardfromoz

I'll leave this tab open until I get to it, as I'm pressed for time today.

Over the spectrum I cover - Debian-based, RPM-based, Arch-based, and Gentoo-based - it's actually installed on more than it is not. :)

Avagudweegend

Wiz

BTW when you get the time to include inxi, I'll hit the whack-a-mole for a homer, as usual ;)

I haven't gotten to edit it yet. Give me 10 minutes. Time is really crunched today.

And done...

Thanks for the suggestion!

As suggested by @wizardfromoz, of Linux.org fame,

... more like infamy.

Hit it for a 5 :)

LOL I'll remember the infamy for next time. There probably will be a next time!

Feedback makes the articles better. Well, I think it does.

Staff online

Members online