Today's article has you making an animated gif...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's not something you're going to want to do, but someone's bound to want to do this eventually. You can use ImageMagick to make animated gifs in the terminal. It's actually pretty easy, though if it doesn't work don't ask me for help! What i know about ImageMagick just scratches the surface, 'cause it's a pretty powerful and complex tool.

So, yeah, feedback is cool and all that jazz.

There's GT racing going on, so I'm in and out, mostly dealing with approvals and reports - should they arrive.

I create & use GIFs a LOT. Personally, I prefer

Either that, or I knock 'em together using Mooitech's 'PhotoScape', running under WINE...or sometimes I'll use the GIMP. (The animated part of my siggy was inserted/merged using the GIMP, prior to saving, then uploading.....)

Couldn't get on with Imagemagick, for the same reason I can't get on with ffmpeg. Too MANY damn variables.....which I no longer have the patience to learn.

(shrug)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I can't get on with ffmpeg.

Ah, there's a mistake in my article. It's ffmpeg with the longer man page - though ImageMagic's pretty long. There's a lot to unpack there.

Yeah, it's a pretty neat thing that ImageMagick is capable of. It's one of many things it can done.

Oh what fun

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Oh, man... I got a pair of animated wizards on my screen!

What have I unleashed?!?

It's not milliseconds, it is one-hundredth seconds.

Nice. In my notes I have it as 'milliseconds'. I'll get the article sorted later. I did not bother to verify it. (I wonder if it has changed?)

I probably should have checked. Hindsight is 20/20.

I tested this out today, it works but the best delay speed is 100 hundredths of a second or less. Otherwise it's real slow and at first i thought it didn't work lol.

I tested this out today, it works but the best delay speed is 100 hundredths of a second or less. Otherwise it's real slow and at first i thought it didn't work lol.

You should have read the thread. ;-)

It no longer says millisecond, though that's what's in my notes. I dunno if they changed it, or if my notes were wrong.

You should have read the thread. ;-)

It no longer says millisecond, though that's what's in my notes. I dunno if they changed it, or if my notes were wrong.
Oh i saw that and that's where i got it from, i was just being really specific for someone who wanted to try it.

Oh i saw that and that's where i got it from, i was just being really specific for someone who wanted to try it.

Ah, well 'tis fixed now. I haven't a clue if it was once milliseconds and they changed it or if I simply wrote down the wrong information. I'd say that it's more likely the latter than it is the former.

It's a pretty fun way to play with ImageMagick. It's useful to those who feel inclined to make animated gifs.

Ah, well 'tis fixed now. I haven't a clue if it was once milliseconds and they changed it or if I simply wrote down the wrong information. I'd say that it's more likely the latter than it is the former.

It's a pretty fun way to play with ImageMagick. It's useful to those who feel inclined to make animated gifs.
I just tested to confirm...it is hundredths of a second, because "-delay 1000" cycles it every 10 seconds. Very slow!

I just tested to confirm...it is hundredths of a second, because "-delay 1000" cycles it every 10 seconds. Very slow!

Yeah, I suspect I stored it improperly in my notes. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have tested this one, though I recalled testing it long ago when it was added to my notes.

David, I hate to be the bearer of bad news again, but you may wish to really fix up that article, and verify it for yourself this time.

I was not aware of these errors when I started my "We Want A Wave" thread, else I would have held off.

Currently you have at your site, in part (press click to expand)

The command we’re looking for would be:

convert -delay 1000 -loop 0 *.jpg <file_name>.gif
Alright, so the ‘delay 1000’ is how long each image will be shown – in hundredths of a second. The ‘-loop 0’ tells it to loop infinitely, or you can pick your own number of times.

... and yes, you changed the "milliseconds" reference to "hundreds of a second" as I had advised.

BUT - you did not change the base numeric figure to reflect that. You still have 1000, which is 10 seconds between movements.

You should have changed it to 100 or less.

See my #5 above, and I used as little as 25.

Above it appears that you read the comments from our former Member Crazed Nerd, but the penny did not drop properly.

I can notify my readers at We Want A Wave of the correct procedure, and if you alter your website article to reflect the correct figures, let me know and I can edit my Thread.

TIA and

Avagudweegend

Wiz

No worries. As I recall, that one was from my notes. It'll take just a moment to change it to 100.

By the time you read this, that'll be done!

I haven't a clue if it was once milliseconds and they changed it or if I simply wrote down the wrong information. I'd say that it's more likely the latter than it is the former.
Or if it was a different application? GIMP uses milliseconds to save GIF animations. And it's not a bad tool for this task.
gimp.png

Or if it was a different application? GIMP uses milliseconds to save GIF animations. And it's not a bad tool for this task.
View attachment 19031

No, it was in the terminal and ImageMagick. My notes were just wrong. I usually double check, sometimes even triple check, but it looks like I didn't do so this time.

Also, I know nothing of GIMP.

If anyone wants to write a GIMP article...

Not me! ;)

I haven't learned much GIMP myself. But Google and YouTube help with most of my questions about it (and many other things).

Members online