Today's article has you spinning up a quick server with Python...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's easier than one might think - and can be useful in certain circumstances.

Feedback is awesome.

I use this for a "quicky" web-server sometimes. I wonder if the article should be named "web" server instead of just server?
I've found that whatever directory you are in, when you run this command becomes the /base_directory or /webroot
it's nice because it does auto-indexing.

By default it uses port 8000, don't forget to open the firewall for whatever port you use :)

Are you getting into python now then ?

Probably not.

I wonder if the article should be named "web" server instead of just server?

I don't really want to encourage folks to put it on the public web and, well, it serves more than just web pages. It serves files just nicely.

I should mention something about a firewall, however.

well, it serves more than just web pages. It serves files just nicely

I would argue, but only thru http (web )
But I do agree it's not a production ready, secure ssl solution.

But I do agree it's not a production ready, secure ssl solution.

Yeah, it definitely isn't something you want to drop online and use. I'm half tempted to set up a honeypot and see what happens to it.

I did add a blurb about opening the right port on your firewall, if needed. I pretty much never bother with a firewall on my desktop systems, but others enjoy the extra layer of security. I lock down public facing stuff pretty heavily. Well, at a cost (time and effort, mostly) vs usability value...

I'm not really sure what the next article will be. I have narrowed it down, but not started writing it. I've been slacking a little for the past few weeks. I've met my deadline every two days, but I don't have a bunch saved up.

Members online