Today's article has you taking screenshots with Shutter...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've used Shutter even during the dark-times, but they're actually actively developing it again and it is now in GTK3 - so it works again. If you haven't used it in a while, give it a shot. It still has some warts, but it's improving again.

Feedback is awesome.

Side note: I usually take January off, to the point of stopping or lessening my online activities. I won't be doing that this year.

Excellent, i just tried it out may come in handy later on.

The good about ubuntu and POP!_OS is you just push the Screenshot button, and it takes a screenshot; if i only want to take a screenshot of some of the screen, i use xfce4-screenshooter.

The good about Shutter that I could see in the 5 Seconds I use it is that you can edit the Photo right there before you, e.g., So if you post it here, that makes it a lot easier for most of the functions I could see it had I may never use for what I mostly use Screenshot for. Still, you can never have too many tools.

Screenshot from 2022-01-02 21-56-17.pngLutris_001.pngMarkering_001.png

The editing is pretty basic, but still has more options than I regularly use - and I take a whole lot of screenshots. Some of the uploading still has issues, but Imgur works well enough.

It was a neglected piece of software for a while, but the author is breathing new life into it again.

I take a ton of screenshots, and really like being able to edit it right away - as well as being able to upload the shots directly from the application. It's not perfect, but it's what I prefer (warts and all).

I take a ton of screenshots, and really like being able to edit it right away - as well as being able to upload the shots directly from the application. It's not perfect, but it's what I prefer (warts and all).
anything on linux you know of like snagit?

I know what you mean. In Windows, I used to use the Screenshot button and then past it into paint and edit it that way, i know it is a lot easier now on win 10/11, but I'm old school, so that what i most used to so i can see the benefit.

anything on linux you know of like snagit?

I've never used that program before. Shutter has a ton of features.

I know what you mean. In Windows, I used to use the Screenshot button and then past it into paint and edit it that way, i know it is a lot easier now on win 10/11, but I'm old school, so that what i most used to so i can see the benefit.

I think that was really about the only way to do it back in the day.

By 'a lot', I'd say that I probably take 5+ screenshots per day. That seems like a lot to me. I suspect the average user doesn't take any.

Last edited:
If you would like to try something really cool...... Flameshot.
That Program sound way to complicated to setup and run even if they say it easy to use its way to much work and then you also have a program more running in the background taking PC performance.

and if you want to make a key-bind to open an app then you just make it

I don't know how it works on other OS but on POP!_OS is really easy

Screenshot from 2022-01-04 12-17-12.png

That Program sound way to complicated to setup and run even if they say it easy to use its way to much work and then you also have a program more running in the background taking PC performance.
1641295475937.png

if your ailing pc can't handle the massive load shown there, I can only suggest you toss it and buy something a little stronger.

The many and various "complicated' steps available are all clearly marked as to their specific purposes.

'sounds way too complicated" does not cut it. Install it and try it. Then write an opinion.

View attachment 11379

if your ailing pc can't handle the massive load shown there, I can only suggest you toss it and buy something a little stronger.

The many and various "complicated' steps available are all clearly marked as to their specific purposes.

'sounds way too complicated" does not cut it. Install it and try it. Then write an opinion.
unneeded meanness.
  1. My pc can handle it, but if i want 1000 programs to run in the background, I'll go back to windows.
  2. Sure, but it will scar people who just want plug-and-play and something easy to install and use away.
  3. It sounds way too complicated. Always cut it. It's what helps us to determine what we want to try and not out of all the options we get to choose from. Sure i can try it, but if i go into something with a negative mindset already, then the outcome will mostly always be negative based on that.

objective, not unneeded.

There is no need to run it in the background. If you had installed and tried you would have known that

you see, that is what annoys me....you are dismissing a perfectly good app because it "sounds' too complicated. That statemnet has no objectivity attached to it at all.

There is nothing top be gained by you being negative and spreading that negativity among all and sundry

I may as well say that Pop OS sounds horribly complicated and just too hard to even consider running it.........and yet in your sentence at the bottom of post #10 you say....
but on POP!_OS is really easy
....and that is because you have tried it and used it.

We can just agree to disagree !!!....each to his/her own.

There is no need to run it in the background. If you had installed and tried you would have known that
Then just say that it would have been a lot easier.

You see, that is what annoys me....you are dismissing a perfectly good app because it "sounds too complicated. That statement has no objectivity attached to it at all.
That's your opinion, and you have your right to that, but don't expect others to think or do the same as you.

I may as well say that Pop OS sounds horribly complicated and just too hard even to consider running it......
And you will have your right to do so. i don't say POP!_OS is the best and most Easy OS to use. If so, everyone would have used it by now. I use POP!_OS because i been on Ubuntu since Ubuntu 14, and Pop!_OS Sound "like a better OS for Gaming" That is why i use it based on research and other opinions and if it sounded "easy" or not to use.

Bottom of post #10 you say....
"but on POP!_OS is really easy"
....and that is because you have tried it and used it.

No, it's my option. Just because it's easy to me doesn't mean it's easy to you and has nothing to do if i have tried it or not. I google it before I did, and I had never used it before that, and the homepage told me how easy it was. That's why I did it. If it was hard, I wouldn't have even bother in the first place. Also, I said I don't know on other OS, so it can be hard on like MINT since i have no idea about that OS, so maybe that program would be better than making your own keybind.

All of this is My opinion. It doesn't make anything i say true or falls. So don't assume that my words make things true or not. I'm just basing my opinion on Info and Experience i have.

Last edited:
It's in the default repos for Ubuntu. So, if you're an Ubuntu (or derivative) user, it's just 'sudo apt install flameshot'. It just installs itself, without any additional dependencies.

It's installed on a few of my devices, but I still reach for Shutter. It has some features I really like, including the ability to take the same screenshot over again. There's also a whole lot of 'habit' there.

Just a heads up on Shutter, David, and I know this is old.

Some time after Jammy was released, Shutter went back into the Repositories, so the PPA method is deprecated. You may want to update your article at https://linux-tips.us/take-edit-and-upload-screenshots-with-shutter/

If The Viewers can't just install it with

Code:
sudo apt install shutter

then they may need to enable their Universe repository, which can be done either through Software Sources or with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update
sudo apt install shutter

Cheers and
Avagudweegend

Wizard

KGIII wrote:
I've used Shutter even during the dark-times
Dark times notwithstanding, I've usually used the native X screenshot window dumper from the x11-utils package to produce an image from a clicked on window thus:
Code:
xwd -out filename.xwd
where filename.xwd can then be viewed with the "undumper":
Code:
xwud -in filename.xwd
and later optionally converted to any format so:
Code:
convert filename.xwd filename.jpg
and then optionally worked on graphically from the display command of the imagemagick package. Possibly this is all a bit fiddly but I guess it's the methods from the dark times of the "olde worlde" still hanging in there.

Some time after Jammy was released, Shutter went back into the Repositories, so the PPA method is deprecated.

That and like three other articles need to be revisited. I should make the time to do so, thanks.

For a while, you needed an unofficial repo and then to download some fairly sketchy dependencies from some dude's site if you wanted to use the editing feature. I'll try to get to those articles this weekend.

Man, that site eats up a bunch of time. On a positive note, it's pretty popular!

I've usually used the native X screenshot window dumper from the x11-utils package to produce an image from a clicked on window thus:

That's a bit much for modernity. I do love me some terminal action, but I'd much rather use Shutter or Flameshot. But, it's great that you can do that from the terminal. One of the things I love about Linux is that there are so many different ways to accomplish things.

As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." (Though I'm not sure we should be skinning cats.) Linux is awesome like that. If you're dedicated and industrious, you don't have have to use someone else's method/application. You can just make your own. Or, you can stand on the shoulders of giants and build new features into an existing project

As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."
There is also..."there are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with butter"....

There is also..."there are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with butter"....

You know, I don't even know if cats choke on butter...

There's also, 'Not enough room to swing a dead cat.'

Which is making me curious about what sort of psycho is going around killing cats and then turning them into phrases? I am not a cat fan, but I'm not gonna kill them.

Members online