Today's article has you turning Ubuntu into Lubuntu (and back)...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Why I started doing it.

Doesn't apply now, but my ISP used to allow me to download Ubuntu ISOs quota free (ie. didn't count towards my monthly quota), plus upgrades/package were quota free (when using their provided mirror which was an official Ubuntu mirror anyway), so that's what started me doing it.

I soon wasn't removing the desktops, and my systems soon became multiple desktop systems, where I'd select at login if I wanted to use Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu (GNOME2/Unity7/GNOME3), Ubuntu-MATE, Kubuntu... in other words my systems just got fatter.

But trying to pick a favorite desktop & sticking with it just isn't easy (we've too many great choices!).. I've never achieved it anyway.

@KGIII typo in title

Why I started doing it.

It's a pretty handy way to check out different desktop environments (and more). It can even be used in situations where the user may have opted to dual boot. If one dual boots in order to get a different DE, they can just go ahead and do this.

I was so tired I almost didn't see the typo.

I was also so tired that I forgot to hit the "Post Reply" button.

David, got a couple of hiccups using your method, which I will highlight in a separate Post on my tomorrow, and they can be avoided by use of Timeshift before making the changes and after the changes, if removing the new environment that results.

For a start, though, two (2) more typos -

1. typo

sudo apt remove lubuntu-deskstop -y

should be

desktop

2. typo

sudo dkpg-reconfigure gdm3

should be

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

Friday in Oz, so Avagudweegend

Wizard

Members online