Today's article: Install Brave browser in Fedora.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I completely forgot to share this earlier. It has been a day...

Feedback is awesome.

Brave Browser Download For Fedora 28+, CentOS/RHEL 8+​

https://brave.com/linux/#linux

Code:
sudo dnf install dnf-plugins-core

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/

sudo rpm --import https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc

sudo dnf install brave-browser

I really hate when they do it that way. They should explain what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Well, that's my thoughts on the subject. Otherwise, you end up with people blindly entering commands they found online without a clue as to why they're doing it.

I figure at least 20% of the questions here contain something like, "I followed this online tutorial..."

I really hate when they do it that way. They should explain what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Well, that's my thoughts on the subject. Otherwise, you end up with people blindly entering commands they found online without a clue as to why they're doing it.

I figure at least 20% of the questions here contain something like, "I followed this online tutorial..."
Maybe for new users.

Otherwise, you end up with people blindly entering commands they found online without a clue as to why they're doing it.

True, which is why I advocate people making a Timeshift snapshot before making such changes. In the case of Fedora using BTRFS, that might mean use of eg Snapper.

David for purposes of completion with the article, is there anything to be said for the use of Snap? If they don't already have it

Code:
sudo dnf install snapd
sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap
sudo snap install brave

The jury is still out, with me, on Snap, so I am not advocating one method over another.

Cheers

Wizard

David for purposes of completion with the article, is there anything to be said for the use of Snap? If they don't already have it

I have so far avoided much mention of Snap, other than in an Ubuntu context. By all means, leave it as a comment on the site, but I don't see me worrying too much about them until I'm more comfortable with them.

I'm slowly getting used to them.

I'm the kinda guy that looks in the default repositories first, then for reliable .deb (assuming that's what I'm using), and then my next step is to just build it myself.

I should probably spend more time with them. Like it or not, my distro will be making greater use of them as time goes on. I could change distros, but that doesn't seem likely to happen over something so small as how a package is packaged.

I've even learned how to filter them from lsblk types of outputs.

There are 3 simple ways to install Brave.

Dnf:

sudo dnf install dnf-plugins-core
sudo dnf install brave-browser

Flatpak:

Before installing Brave you must install Flatpak:

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Now you can install Brave with Flatpak:

flatpak install flathub com.brave.Browser

Snap:

Before installing Brave you must install Snapd:

sudo dnf install snapd

Enable Classic snap support:

sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

Now you can install Brave with Snap:

sudo snap install brave

@KGIII sorry to go off topic but just replying to @wizardfromoz
True, which is why I advocate people making a Timeshift snapshot before making such changes. In the case of Fedora using BTRFS, that might mean use of eg Snapper.
I switched my desktop to Fedora recently using btrfs as file system and I'm using it with Timeshift, it works just great because Timeshift supports both rsync and btrfs.
Code:
Device : /dev/dm-0 (nvme0n1p3)
UUID   : 534f4b90-b0a8-481a-b3b0-32ba425c316b
Path   : /run/timeshift/backup
Mode   : BTRFS
2 snapshots, 1.6 TB free

Num     Name                 Tags     Description
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0    >  2022-05-30_21-23-41  O D W M
1    >  2022-06-07_08-00-01  W
Back on topic, looks like I followed the exact same steps as you explained your article, only I looked them up on the Brave website installation section for Linux.

Last edited:
@KGIII sorry to go off topic

I'm pretty sure that I don't really get to complain about people going off-topic... (Unless it's really bad and for moderation reasons.)

I'm pretty sure that I don't really get to complain about people going off-topic... (Unless it's really bad and for moderation reasons.)
I know I thought I would just be polite about it this time ;)

Members online