Today's article is a fun one, where we talk about the "Linux" vs. "GNU/Linux" debate...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've seen this hotly debated before. We don't tend to do so here, but you should see it when folks on sites like Slashdot get their hackles raised. I think (and I'm picking these words with care) the most passionate side of the debate is those who advocate calling it "GNU/Linux". Those folks can be pretty determined.

The thing is, they're kinda right. Other than a few exceptions, it really is GNU/Linux. Technically speaking, GNU is responsible for more of your OS components than the single kernel that is the Linux part of your operating system. As a whole unit, it's really "GNU/Linux".

So, I wanted to make it an interesting article and I realized that this was a prime example for using AI (specifically chatGPT) - though I didn't pose the question you might have expected me to ask. I think it made for an interesting article. It's long... It's really long... I've also been wondering about mixing in some longer articles, some with more details and information. Covering the quick and easy stuff is fine, but smashing the keyboard for long periods of time is something I'd like to experiment with a bit more.

Nope, you will not need a terminal for this article. You won't need anything but your browser - and maybe a desire to respond. After all, it's the first real article after the site's second birthday. Feedback is definitely appreciated for this article. For better or worse, this is a subject on which anyone can opine.

Since it's a long one, I'll have to read the article tonight. But just real quick, I agree that it's GNU/Linux, but I have an will always just refer to it as Linux. The GNU is implied and anyone who is familiar with Linux is probably familiar with GNU anyway.

Plus, GNU/Linux is four syllables. Too much! haha

I'll have more to add after reading your article. :cool:

The GNU is implied and anyone who is familiar with Linux is probably familiar with GNU anyway.

That pretty much echoes my sentiments. It's something I expect people to know or learn along the way.

After all, there's ALWAYS someone willing to explain it to 'em!

(I went to school with RMS, which is a subject in and of itself and not something I'll dig into here. We circled in similar groups but weren't social.)

In terms of the way in which language is used, "linux" doesn't mean just one thing. The term "linux" will represent whatever the speaker means it to represent in the context, in this case, either the kernel or the whole operating system or a particular operating system or possibly something else. Differentiating "linux" from "GNU/Linux" may or may not be of any significance to the interlocutors, which means that in some contexts it's of no significance to make the distinction.

There's a political aspect, and ironically, a sense of proprietariness to the insistence on using the term "GNU/Linux" ... it can be seen to be asserting that GNU owns part of the linux macrocosm. That can be seen to be the case in the sense that most linux distributions need and use GNU utilities for them to function, but its assertion is often contextually unnecessary. Those inside the linux universe already know what is meant by "linux" alone, and those not so familiar may benefit from the "GNU" reference. So the insistence that the terminology always be "GNU/Linux" has motivations other than just a simple description of the operating system.

Last edited:
Agreed.

There's a political aspect, and ironically, a sense of proprietariness to the insistence on using the term "GNU/Linux" ... it can be seen to be asserting that GNU owns part of the linux macrocosm.

Which makes me think, perhaps a bit devilishly, if I could cause some consternation by calling it "Linux/GNU".

Alas, I'm not into trolling for reactions (as a general rule), so I'll likely never find out.

When they say 'GNU came first' I can counter with 'and was added to the kernel second'.

Hmm... Lemme go dust-off my Slashdot account. (Not really. Way too apathetic for that.)