Today's article is a really easy one, meant for the absolute beginner...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's about showing hidden files and folders. Most of you should already know how to do this.

Feedback is awesome.

I prefer to use -A instead of -a, because it omits the generally superfluous . and .. directory entries from output.

I don't mind the .. and . listed, though I probably should have linked to a previous page where I explained what those are.

It's about showing hidden files and folders. Most of you should already know how to do this.
I am on Xfce and using Thunar file manager. If you prefer using GUI:
Just open your file manager and go to your Home folder.
From the top menu of your home folder, go to view > Check "Show hidden files".

.mozilla folder (which contains your Firefox profiles) is hidden somewhere on your home folder.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to find in most GUI file managers.

I just click "Show Hidden Files"
happy0062.gif

I think we should warn beginners not to play with "Hidden Files" as this will lead to disaster.
sad0004.gif

I think we should warn beginners not to play with "Hidden Files" as this will lead to disaster.
sad0004.gif
In a way, you're right. Way back when I first started with Linux, I found all these dot files that I didn't put there. So, obviously they didn't belong there, right?
rm .*
Don't do that, folks. Bad juju.

LOL I gotta wonder how many people actually read the article before commenting...

how many know what juju is ? Last time i heard that i was in Ghana

It's like magic from one of the African coasts. Like folk magic - where bad juju would mean someone has cast some magic that is harmful against you...

Something like that. People in the west seem to think of it as something like karma, but it's not really.

I should probably look this up before posting, but I'll see how close I get afterwards.

Members online