Today's article is a repeat... Oops...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
See, I searched for a few terms and didn't spot it, but once again I wrote the same flippin' article that I already wrote. Yeah...

I guess that there's a finite number of articles I can remember writing, and I should work on my effort to search previous articles just to make sure I'm not duplicating stuff. I don't tend to notice until the following day, when the article is published and the related articles points out that I have written the article not just once before but twice before.

I swear I was 100% sober too. I had no wine in me. None...

So, yeah... I guess you can read it again? I should write a spare article or two to have on hand to fix this sort of stuff, but it's too late now.

I don't know what happened to me but I wasn't allowed to go that far on Ubuntu Cinnamon. This was at least a week before "Lunar Lobster" was officially released. I'm not sure if it was possible to select the LTS for that flavor, but I have to insist on it with Ubuntu family. Ubuntu Cinnamon had a nice desktop, but Kubuntu looked better to me and was snappier, and I always updated from the terminal there.

You should be able to do that just fine in any apt-using distro, including Cinnamon.

If there's nothing to update, you'll be told that the software is up to date. There aren't always updates. I have no updates available currently, 'cause I've done them all.

I don't know what happened to me but I wasn't allowed to go that far on Ubuntu Cinnamon. This was at least a week before "Lunar Lobster" was officially released. I'm not sure if it was possible to select the LTS for that flavor, but I have to insist on it with Ubuntu family. Ubuntu Cinnamon had a nice desktop, but Kubuntu looked better to me and was snappier, and I always updated from the terminal there.
I went to the Ubuntu Cinnamon website and followed their download links from here:
https://ubuntucinnamon.org

The download links point to Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04.2, which is an LTS version. It is not labeled "LTS" everywhere on the Ubuntu Cinnamon website, which adds to the confusion. Flavors are not supported for the same periods as the mainstream Ubuntu.

I installed Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04.2 in a VMware virtual machine, opened the terminal and did a "sudo apt update" and a "sudo apt upgrade".

The update/upgrade seemed to go well, but the default "us.archive.ubuntu.com" entries in /etc/apt/sources.list were not as reliable as I expected. I tried it several times but the results were not consistent.

The errors seemed related to timeouts from Ubuntu's US servers. I changed the entries in sources.list from the default "us.archive.ubuntu.com" to "archive.ubuntu.com" which seemed to improve the issue. (You can make the same change in the Software Updater GUI application. Open the settings, click on the Ubuntu Software tab, then choose Download from: Main Server.)

Ubuntu Cinnamon was not an official flavor before 23.04.

I'll quote from Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 781 for end March-1st-April 2023

Lukasz Zemczak in this latest message on the mailing list thread informs Joshua Peisach and the Ubuntu Cinnamon team they have now been confirmed by vote and Technical Board meeting to be an official Ubuntu flavor.

No ISOs of Ubuntu Cinnamon products will exist before the beta of 23.04, as they weren't created by Ubuntu and were respins by the then unofficial Ubuntu Cinnamon team.

The first reference I recall making to Ubuntu Cinnamon was the 23.04 beta announcement, though I do recall many references like the UWN newsletter I quoted where they're linked in with other flavors (unofficial flavors that have applied or expressed interest in becoming official are commonly included in flavor meeting/discussions/coverage etc).

To find prior releases than Ubuntu Cinnamon 23.04, you'll have to use non-Ubuntu infrastructure (I think it'll download from sourceforge but I could be wrong)

FYI: If not already clear; I'm involved with the Ubuntu project, Ubuntu News & more.

Last edited:
Repeat or not..I'm sure beginners will find it helpful.
m1212.gif

I could have also mentioned I always use apt full-upgrade as there are cases where apt upgrade will not install all upgrades.

From man apt I get the following for my mantic release

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))

full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed packages
if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

ie. if removal of packages are required; apt upgrade will not not install the upgrades, so you can elect to check out if there are any consequences to your system & perform those later (using full-upgrade).

I'll need to do this more often though than most, as I'm using the development release ~357 days a year, and not a stable release (when a release occurs, there are a couple of days where I'm on stable before the next cycle starts thus the <365.25)

Ubuntu Cinnamon was not an official flavor before 23.04.

I'll quote from Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 781 for end March-1st-April 2023

No ISOs of Ubuntu Cinnamon products will exist before the beta of 23.04, as they weren't created by Ubuntu and were respins by the then unofficial Ubuntu Cinnamon team.

The first reference I recall making to Ubuntu Cinnamon was the 23.04 beta announcement, though I do recall many references like the UWN newsletter I quoted where they're linked in with other flavors (unofficial flavors that have applied or expressed interest in becoming official are commonly included in flavor meeting/discussions/coverage etc).

To find prior releases than Ubuntu Cinnamon 23.04, you'll have to use non-Ubuntu infrastructure (I think it'll download from sourceforge but I could be wrong)

FYI: If not already clear; I'm involved with the Ubuntu project, Ubuntu News & more.
I do not dispute your assertions. All I can say is I followed the links. Both the main Ubuntu website and Wikipedia article point to ...
... as the main website for Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor.

I cleared the Ubuntu, Ubuntu Cinnamon, and Sourceforge cookies and visited the Ubuntu Cinnamon website. I also ran the same test from a Tor Browser.

Clicking the big red Download button on the link takes me to SourceForge to download the file. The file they offer is Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04.2.

The SourceForge project is called "Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix". (Caution: The download link can start the download automatically in some browsers.) Here is where the browser landed after clicking the Download button on the Ubuntu Cinnamon home page:

True, version 22.04 predates the official Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor announcement, but that is what they are offering from their home page. Perhaps a clue is in the ".2" in the version number, but I would not know about that.

Today is 19 May 2023. The downloaded version will change over time as new releases appear.

I hope this explains my posts above. I do not dispute that version 23.4 may be the "Official Ubuntu Cinnamon Flavor" version, the kickoff edition, or whatever it may be called, but that is not the version that downloads in my browser when I click the big red Download button on the home page.

I could have also mentioned I always use apt full-upgrade as there are cases where apt upgrade will not install all upgrades.

I actually plan on giving full-upgrade its own article at some point. Alas, the only time I ever bother with it is when I let the GUI do it in Lubuntu. I should probably fix my aliases to do full-upgrade instead.

I do not dispute your assertions. All I can say is I followed the links. Both the main Ubuntu website and Wikipedia article point to ...
... as the main website for Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor.

I cleared the Ubuntu, Ubuntu Cinnamon, and Sourceforge cookies and visited the Ubuntu Cinnamon website. I also ran the same test from a Tor Browser.

Clicking the big red Download button on the link takes me to SourceForge to download the file. The file they offer is Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04.2.
Everything created by the Ubuntu Cinnamon project before 23.04 is a remix. The Ubuntu Cinnamon team can still support their remix creations, they first release as a flavor is 23.04 and the official flavor ISOs will exist like all other flavors, at cdimage.ubuntu.com.

I can't disagree with you there, I had a brief discussion with the team at or shortly after launch of 23.04, and they said they had issues with their site ("website under repair"). My interest at that time was purely Ubuntu News related, so I selected the wording I used based on what I'd been told then moved on & forgot it.

I'll think on this, and will likely chase up the team again.

I'll think on this, and will likely chase up the team again.

LOL You have zero free time, don't you?

(For which I, for one, am grateful. I do need to send you a PM one of these days, for reasons. Not important reasons, no...)

I can't disagree with you there, I had a brief discussion with the team at or shortly after launch of 23.04, and they said they had issues with their site ("website under repair"). My interest at that time was purely Ubuntu News related, so I selected the wording I used based on what I'd been told then moved on & forgot it.

As I was ~told on 6-May-2023 when I queried some web site issues (the access issues were fixed, but web site still hadn't been updated) I just received confirmation that the "major rework" needed on the Ubuntu Cinnamon website still hasn't been performed, thus Ubuntu Cinnamon's website may not be helpful in helping you for recent official releases.

To download Ubuntu Cinnamon 23.04 please visit

Members online