Today's article is a review for a nifty file manager.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
When I first set up the site, I made a 'review' category. I haven't used it until now.

I don't think it came out all that great, but I figure I'll get better at these review things. I'm not used to writing them in article form, and generally my reviews for stuff are only a few paragraphs long. So, I hope they get better than this one. Feedback is definitely appreciated in this case.

On a positive note, I'm 31 articles into my project. I'm gonna do my damnedest to keep this up for at least a year, ideally an article every other day. We'll see where the site is at the end of that. Not counting the previous domain, I started on April 18th. I figure that if I can do it anyone can.

Oh, I also disabled the AdBlock nag. I don't think it was making enough of a difference to keep it up. I may enable it again in the future, but for now it is disabled.

Nifty....describes it very well indeed.

A pleasure to use. The file search is a welcome inclusion. Keeps things neat!

Nifty....describes it very well indeed.

It's surprisingly not very popular, though it's really good. It is the default in a few obscure-ish distros, but that's it. It's generally one of the first things I install when I have just installed Linux on a new device.

I haven't needed it in a while, but the bulk renaming plugin works well.

Not a bad file manager, but you do realize it hasn't been updated since 2018. That is if the "releases" page on github is accurate.

I can't think of anything more that it needs? I've yet to find a bug and I think it's 'feature-complete'.

David I've smashed stars on the review, yet to try the product but will do so soon across a number of Linux Families I have.

With the screenshots at the site, you have nailed the (click to expand) feature, nice one.

Cheers

Wiz

With the screenshots at the site, you have nailed the (click to expand) feature, nice one.

That one took a bit. I got a plugin installed but it was buggy and the configuration options were gibberish. I eventually managed to make it work every time, so I shouldn't have to worry about that again.

As memory serves, it was you that mentioned the screenshots were too small. So, thanks! It made the site better.

I've spent ungodly amounts of time there working on the site. Hundreds (plural!) of hours, counting article writing time. It's a fun project. I suspect I'll be burned out after a year, but maybe not.

I've already tried similar double pannel managers and they all have something in common - they don't have any archivers integration, which means you can't right click a file or a folder and choose "add to archive". In the process of using them you find other features missing as well. Besides, to me PCManFM is the best file manager because (as ridiculously as it may sound) it has the option for bookmarks displayed in the left pane - a feature double pannels don't have. Not to mention it supports an unlimited number of tabs to open. A double pannel commander doesn't have such features or if they do, the number of bookmarks is limited which doesn't work for me either.
These are all of my most frequently used bookmarks (left part of the screenshot), I can't even operate normally without them.

wM9qoUn.png

Yeah, it's likely to take a while before it reaches full parity with the old version. I don't know how much longer they'll develop it. They did do a release earlier this year, as memory serves.

Still, it's pretty solid and likely feature complete. It was the Lubuntu (LXDE) default for many years. With LXDE winding down, maybe someone will pick it up and keep maintaining it? It'd be a shame if it got lost to history.

I switched from dolphin to pcmanfm a while back.
Dolphin takes ages to load when i first run it in dwm, because of it having to load and initialise QT. Opening it after that is pretty quick. Whereas pcmanfm loads instantly every time.

It'd be nice if people keep updating it, or at least keeping it current.

Staff online

Members online