Today's article is about lm_sensors.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You may recognize the gist of it from the old site, but it has been updated with additional information and formatted.

Feedback is awesome.

if you look at the image , for new comers it migth not be thats obvious which are the CPu temperature; for instance unless its the wine begining to kick in i can't actually see a single mention of "cpu" in output . I can see core 1-4 though

No, it's under 'core', as it gives individual core temps.

Hmm... I thought it was obvious. CPUs have cores. Core temp is what's reported.

Lemme think of a way to make it more clear.

That should make it more clear. Read the image caption text.

Also, again, the feedback is awesome. Y'all help me make the articles better! It's like free proofreading!

The problem is that this command reads the wrong sensors (the motherboard sensors) and not the reported temps by the CPU itself. If I use this command, it will read that at the moment my CPU is 45-50 degrees (C) which won't be true (that's also the temp UEFI displays). Right now it's 34 degrees - that's what AIDA64 reads in Windows and what a few other programs for linux say. That's why I trust only conky to tell me the temps.

Code:
${color2}CPU Temp ${color2}${alignr}${hwmon 0 temp 1}° C

XrmBFgN.png

You may recognize the gist of it from the old site, but it has been updated with additional information and formatted.

Feedback is awesome.
Good info for newcomers, opens the door to a Part #2 for grep'ing and sed'ing (parsing in general) output to be useful in maintenance: if (max_temp >= cur_temp); YouAreInCrap(); lol. Biggest pro is saying, "If you are an American that is easily frightened by the metric system" :thumbsup:
I would critique the colour scheme, but not until I fix the abysmal font on my sig. Good job.

Definitely agree. I grew up in the single core era, but I would still know CPUs have cores. Most people do cozza intel's marketing (IIRC, AMD got there before intel for desktop and someone else beat them both to in for high-end computational systems).

I would critique the colour scheme, but not until I fix the abysmal font on my sig. Good job.

LOL Critique all ya want, 'snot changing. It'll remain with that theme for as long as possible. One of the things I do not do is tweak the theme all that much. Mostly because I don't want to have to keep making the changes or keeping up with the changes in a sub-theme.

So, you could offer feedback with that, but that's not changing. Nope. You get a dark mode and like it! ;-)

I've mentioned grep a couple of times, but those articles are still on the old site (mostly). There's even an AWK article or two. They'll eventually be prettied up and moved to the new site. They'll get moved... Eventually... Probably...

well the premise is this : if you write and to all readers everything its obvious it implies those readers know all the stuff already so your not really helping those readers . If however your pitching at less experienced users then everything will not be obvious to them; actually the article will be more informative to more people .At least thats my thinking ...

.At least thats my thinking ...

That's a rather binary thought. I expect 'em to have at least some minimum of understanding. I can't possibly explain everything. To me, 'core' is obvious - but it wasn't for others, so it got explained. That's the great thing about getting feedback!

Everything isn't obvious, but cores *seemed* obvious to me. It's something pretty much everyone should be aware of and something they should have based their purchase on. How would you buy a computer without knowing how many cores it has - and what cores means in this context? So, it was obvious to me! ;)

only making a general point not on that article - its just that i've noticed that for tech writers in general the bigest pitfall seems to be not putting yourself in their shoes.

The problem is that this command reads the wrong sensors (the motherboard sensors) and not the reported temps by the CPU itself. If I use this command, it will read that at the moment my CPU is 45-50 degrees (C) which won't be true (that's also the temp UEFI displays). Right now it's 34 degrees - that's what AIDA64 reads in Windows and what a few other programs for linux say. That's why I trust only conky to tell me the temps.

Code:
${color2}CPU Temp ${color2}${alignr}${hwmon 0 temp 1}° C

XrmBFgN.png
i'm going to compare using the two

On that note, I'm down to just one article in the queue. I'm gonna have to write some tonight, though I really should get the 'how to ask a good question' article moved over at some point. I'll just make sure the old URL points to the new article like I have with the rest - by doing a 301 redirect.

how often do you use python as an alternative to bash to examine things /get things done Linux ?

how often do you use python as an alternative to bash to examine things /get things done Linux ?

Pretty much never. I know little Python. I've done like "Python in 24 Hours" types of reading but retained little 'cause I never used it. I will definitely not be writing a site called python-tips. I did once share a Perl story.

No it wouldn't be python tips - it would be about using python as an alternative tool to get things done on Linux stillLinux tips . Let me give yo ua taster.

Open a shell
type in python
at the prompt type:

import requests
res = requests.get('https://archlinux.org/mirrorlist/all/')
print(res.text)

you might say whats the point of that ; well if i were to then write the output to /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
and invisage maybe doing other things -filtering depending on your location , then you might see some useage

Just a thought if your interested at some point in another guest article down the road

Attachments

• python_linux.png
    python_linux.png
    98 KB · Views: 147
Just a thought if your interested at some point in another guest article down the road

By all means you can write one. I won't necessarily have the skills required to properly edit it, but we can figure that out as it happens

Members online