Today's article is about magic! Well, sorta...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's the 'magic SysRq' key and what you need to know about using it. Specifically, it's about dealing with a system that's frozen or nearly frozen. If it's truly frozen, it may not accept any inputs at all.

It seemed like a good time to do that article. I still have tons of notes. Feedback is awesome.

Also, the site is now growing (or still growing) at a normal rate. I'm getting about 100 unique visitors per day as an average. This is much nicer than jumping straight up to hundreds and hundreds of users, as I can scale as I go. Still, that's pretty decent traffic for a new site that only gets new content every other day. I'm curious where it'll be at the end of the year I've set for the project.

I have a qwerty keyboard but these commands don't work, I have a Print Screen key and if I press it I get a Screen Shot. If I press Ctrl+ Alt+ Print Screen...I get a Screen Shot but if I press Alt+ Print Screen+B...the computer will Re-Boot which isn't what I want. :(

On the rare occasion my computer might freeze, I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace...it brings me back to the Login Screen without Re-Booting the whole System if this makes sense. :)

If you press ALT + SysRq (which is often on the Print Screen button) + B it will indeed reboot. That's hardcoded and if it's not what you want I'm not quite sure what to do about that one. If you just press the Print Screen button it will indeed take a screenshot *if* your shortcut keys are set to do so.

Members online

Latest posts