Today's article is about the 'find' command.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's also about how you shouldn't parse the output of 'ls' and what you can do instead. In this case, I used the find command.

The wife wants to go shopping, so I'll be gone for a bit. Feel free to leave feedback.

Feedback - brickbats & bouquets :)

Bouquets first, always first.

BOUQUET

Both your article, and the article linked to, at StackExchange, are well-written and appear to be comprehensive.

I find them of interest, and am looking to learn more.

BRICKBAT

Many of us are acquainted with the internet slang

tl;dr

Too long, didn't (don't) read

But I might label both your article and the linked article

th;dr

Too hard, don't read

Constructive - I believe you might do well to categorise ... parse, if you will (I could have helped that :)) the Tips into Beginners/General, Intermediate and Advanced.

I would place these into the Intermediate/Advanced border category.

If I struggle to understand these concepts, then I believe there will be many more in the same boat, both here and viewing your site.

Another bouquet

Reading articles such as this inspire me to learn more, and reinforce what I already knew, and that is how much there is to learn. :)

Cheers

Wizard

Yeah, this one hit the 5 minute mark (estimated time to read). That's about the limit of what I'll make most articles. I try to keep them 5 minutes and under. Though that doesn't take into account the reading for why to not process 'ls' output. I figured that link was just so darned informative that I didn't really want to try to recreate it.

I actually parse the output of 'ls' fairly regularly - but I'm doing so in folders I've created and with file names I've created. It's also not anything mission critical that I'm doing.

Members online