Today's article is about understanding 'load average'.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It wasn't easy to explain and I think I got it right. So, feedback is a great idea for this article!

Also, someone notified me that they were unable to view the article. If you have issues, hit the refresh button - but it seems to work just fine here.

(I'm running a bit behind today.)

Does your website use Google Analytics or something like that, if not I will consider it as a trusted website and use Firefox for it.

Yes, it uses Google Analytics. Mostly, I find it confirms what I expected and so it indicates that I should continue with the types of articles that I'm already using.

It'll likely be removed at some point. It's not very accurate. I have internal metrics and even raw server logs and it's amazing how much traffic GA doesn't count.

Another thing to be aware of when evaluating load average is iowait can highly affect your load average. Load average is not a measurement of only CPU processing power, but also a CPU being busy. A CPU can be busy while not even processing anything because it's in an iowait state. Meaning, waiting on io. Whether that be waiting on disk io or network based io.

A term many people maybe familiar with is "blocking". Especially if they are programmers. If you write a program that blocks. It can block a CPU from doing things while waiting on io. You may have heard a lot of hubbub about asynchronous programming lately. Asynchronous programming was created specifically to avoid io wait situations and allows a system to be more effiecnt by processing other waiting applications while one process is waiting on io.

Below is a screenshot of "top". Circled in red is the iowait status of each individual CPU. CPU *total* usage and iowait are combined when calculating load average. (among other things)

1630785111480.png

Last edited:
Below is a screenshot of "top".

An article about 'top' is on my list, though I may decide to do it on htop, which is what I prefer.

Members online