Today's article is about updating openSUSE

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Specifically, it's about updating openSUSE from the terminal. I figured I might as well cover it, as I've covered it for other OSes.

Don't forget that feedback!

Your article assumes OpenSuSE Leap (or whatever it was called before Leap; which may have just been openSuSE; I forget!) as if you're running openSUSE tumbeweed you'll get an error

'Product 'openSUSE Tumbleweed' requires to be updated by calling 'zypper dup`!

Either way, with my background/introduction to GNU/Linux being Debian the 'dup' makes me happy as it's just a shortened for of the full command

`zypper dist-upgrade`

Chris (who still likes the original way of writing openSuSE so decided to accept/mix the various historical methods of writing it in this post)

Yeah, needs a little work.

Just for the record

zypper up and zypper dup can be used in both Gecko Linux Tumbleweeds and Gecko Linux Leap, successfully. They are in my stable, and I have used Tumbleweeds over openSUSE's for 5 - 6 years now, since openSUSE did not provide for a Live environment install (has that changed?).

Gecko's Dev, Sam @GeckoLinux may be able to comment further.

Are you around, Sam?

Cheers

Chris

Hey @wizardfromoz , thanks for the ping.

Basically, on Leap systems, zypper up or YaST Software like this for package updates within the same release version. For upgrades, i.e. Leap 15.2 -> Leap 15.3, it would be zypper dup

On Tumbleweed, every release is like a new major version, so it's recommended to use zypper dup

The difference between zypper up and zypper dup is that dup will allow packages to be deleted or be changed to a different repository if it no longer exists in the previous repository it was installed from.

openSUSE did not provide for a Live environment install (has that changed?)
Not really. The live ISOs do have an installer now, but it just loads the net-install module (very very slow to initialize and update itself), which downloads all the RPMs from the openSUSE repos and installs them one by one onto the target system. This is different from most live systems like Ubuntu, Manjaro, and GeckoLinux, where the installer decompresses the same filesystem that is running on the live system, so much much faster.

Oh! This is nice and informative! I'll let it shake out, if there's more to it, and edit accordingly.

I'd initially meant to put Tumbleweed in the title, but I'm not sure where things went wrong.

Appreciate it Sam - hope this finds you safe and well in your neck of the woods. :)

Chris

I still need to spin up a Gecko VM...

Hmm... Maybe I should come up with my own guideline/template and do a few distro reviews... I've tried some reviews, but nothing so big as a distro.