Today's article is about upgrading Ubuntu (and others) from the terminal.

So to summarize your article was about upgrading to a minor point release ? Upgrading to a major release is something different and i've seen comments like " i will do a clean install.. at that point .." but surely Arch does that almost every other week so I should be able to do major upgrade as well from cli ?

Yes, this article is about the regular daily updates. Normally you can upgrade from one major version to another but it was an *exception* for 18.04 to 20.04 specifically for *Lubuntu*. There was just too much changed for a regular upgrade path to end up with a stable system.

Normally, you can upgrade to new major versions from the terminal just fine. Just that once, it was an exception. The desktop changed from LXDE to LXQt, and so much changed because of it.

But yes, the rest of the apt-using distros can all do their upgrades just fine from the terminal.

Make sense?

yes very good explanation ; i will have a go with sons laptop to upgrade to minor release and report back how it goes

yes very good explanation ; i will have a go with sons laptop to upgrade to minor release and report back how it goes

The GUI will prompt you (eventually) to upgrade - for at least every major distro that I can think of. So, if they're using something like Mint, there's a shield in the system tray that will have an orange dot over it to call your attention to it when upgrades are available.

I seldom see that prompt as I have all that aliased to 'update'. I just habitually run 'update' in the terminal every now and again, sometimes multiple times in a day. 'Snot like I didn't already have a terminal open. So, it's really just a part of my routine.

Members online