Today's article is an easy one, with one way to check hard drive temperatures.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It trots out the old 'hddtemp' which might not actually work with your modern SSD. So, it's a rather simplistic affair.

Feedbacl is great/

I've always been able to view hhd temp by opening Psensor which I always install after running lm-sensors.

1652131406520.png

I'm pretty sure I did an lm-sensors article at one point... I don't think I did a Psensor article.

I've always used some sort of system monitoring software on my computers since the days of overclocking processors was all a rage back in the old days.

I know longer overclock my systems although still like to know what my system hardware temps are running at.

Laptops are where I'd be most concerned about what system hardware temps are running at.

I did write an article about lm-sensors, but it concentrated on CPU temperatures. So, there's that.

And, yeah, I've written so many articles that I have to check and see what I have covered and what I haven't. I can no longer rely on memory. Fortunately, the search function is acceptable.

I have covered and what I haven't. I can no longer rely on memory. Fortunately, the search function is acceptable.
I'm right there with ya on the can't rely on memory.

I forget what I went out to the garage for so I make a list nowadays.

I'm right there with ya on the can't rely on memory.

I forget what I went out to the garage for so I make a list nowadays.

All you gotta do is sit down. Once you sit down you remember why you went to the garage. There's probably some connection between your butt and your memory. So, instead of walking back into the house and sitting down, just sit down and you'll remember!

* This might not be really be effective.

In Linux Mint I just type..."disks" in the search box and get all the Disk info including the temp which is 24C.
I did have a command but it doesn't work with my SSD that I have now. :)

Code:
lubuntu@hp-compaq:~$ disk
Command 'disk' not found, did you mean:
  command 'dish' from deb dish (1.19.1-1.1)
  command 'fdisk' from deb fdisk (2.37.2-4ubuntu3)
  command 'risk' from deb xfrisk (1.2-8)
  command 'diskd' from deb fdutils (5.6-2)
  command 'dink' from deb freedink-engine (109.6-3)
  command 'gdisk' from deb gdisk (1.0.8-4build1)
  command 'dist' from deb mmh (0.4-4)
  command 'dist' from deb nmh (1.7.1-11)
Try: sudo apt install <deb name>
lubuntu@hp-compaq:~$ "disks"

Doesn't work for me either.

I do believe they're referring to 'gnome-disks' and the search box - not the terminal.

I'm not sure if Mint has customized it or not, but I'm pretty sure Mint comes with Gnome Disk Utility (gnome-disks package) which I actually prefer over GParted.

I have gnome disks installed and it does give a lot of info.

In Linux Mint I just type..."disks" in the search box and get all the Disk info including the temp which is 24C.
I did have a command but it doesn't work with my SSD that I have now. :)
What Mint version? Not available in LMDE5. Maybe part of a subpackage?

What Mint version? Not available in LMDE5. Maybe part of a subpackage?
It's Cinnamon and has been a part of it since I started using 17.2 years ago.
happy0047.gif

It's Cinnamon and has been a part of it since I started using 17.2 years ago.
happy0047.gif
Ok, so Mint 20.x? That utility is probably part of the Ubuntu repos, which mainstream Mint uses. LMDE uses the Debian repos instead.

I do believe they're referring to 'gnome-disks' and the search box - not the terminal.

I'm not sure if Mint has customized it or not, but I'm pretty sure Mint comes with Gnome Disk Utility (gnome-disks package) which I actually prefer over GParted.
Yes it's the Gnome Disk Utility and is very handy. It's also in Linux Lite too,but it's not in other Distros which is sad...MX Linux is one but I did install it and made a big difference...of cause this was a few years ago.
happy0006.gif

it's not in other Distros

It's usually easy enough to install and doesn't pull in a lot of dependencies. It'll be in the default repos for the major distros, at least those where Gnome is an optional DE or the default DE.

I prefer it over GParted, so usually end up installing it.

Staff online