Today's article is foolhardy and shouldn't be attempted without careful consideration of the risks...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I was out earlier and unable to post. Well, I probably could have, but this site's really not all that great on mobile - but none of them really are (in my experience). It works. You can do it. It's just a pain. Plus, I can't type worth a fornication on the small keyboard.

Passwordless sudo...

You can use sudo on this computer I'm typing from without a password. I'm gonna notice, but you can do it.

Anyhow, feedback is always awesome.

I like nano so i edit sudoers this way:

sudo EDITOR=nano visudo

As far as i understand that command it allows for using nano , rather than vim and should check syntax before it writes to file.

The reason for doing it the "visudo" way is that it checks the file syntax before actually overwriting the sudoers file.

If you go direct use a plain editor,screw up syntax, and just save... sudo will (probably) stop working, and, since /etc/sudoers is only modifiable by root, you're stuck (unless you have another way of gaining root).

It may be from using Slackware but i always prudent and minimize risk aiming for zero.

The way you show about editing the sudoers on your web is direct and has attached to unnecessary risk

Raspberry PI OS has passwordless sudo.
If no one else has physical access to the system I see no problem with it.
I mean who is going to waste their time getting past my router then trying to hack my system?
They would still need my user password, good luck there. or the actual root password. Plus i have remote root login disabled and no root login on tty and ssh disabled. :)

57ce08a44ddadd33ec958e779d2115c8.gif

Raspberry PI OS has passwordless sudo.
If no one else has physical access to the system I see no problem with it.
I mean who is going to waste their time getting past my router then trying to hack my system?
They would still need my user password, good luck there. or the actual root password. Plus i have remote root login disabled and no root login on tty and ssh disabled. :)
Education is paramount.

I recommend you reviews these videos about cybersecurity. (basically, the root subject matter of CompTIA's Security+ certification) Getting past your firewall in most cases is not even a considerations of the attacker's attack vector.

Members online

Latest posts