Today's article is more privacy than security related - but it could definitely be security related...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's also not the kind of article I normally write. I am just so happy with the product that I felt I'd share it with you. The recent Exif article reminded me to write this one.

The tool in question is an extension (perfectly gratis for personal use) for Thunderbird, the email client. It's called MetaClean and it automatically strips meta data from files before you send them. (It's a bit more complicated than that, but the plugin is easy to configure).

As mentioned, I don't normally review stuff like this. It's a change of pace and the tool is simply a good piece to have in your toolbox. For some folks, this would go along ways in sticking with personal information laws, helping to bring you into compliance.

If you're into privacy, this is a nice extension to have. You just set it and forget it, while having the peace of mind that you're not sending out your meta data when you communicate with others via email.

Feedback is awesome.

If this sort of article is of interest, let me know and I'll consider other similar articles.

It seems very useful. Please share such information more often and introduce such apps more. It is also available as an extension for thunderbird here and can be downloaded an .xpi file.

As I mostly only worry about it with images, I just use exiftool (as in the article). I even have it aliased, which is nice and handy.

It seems very useful. Please share such information more often and introduce such apps more. It is also available as an extension for thunderbird here and can be downloaded an .xpi file.

Did you not read the article? Or even the first post in this thread? (Yes, it's a Thunderbird plugin. That's abundantly clear and the entire point.)

Did you not read the article? Or even the first post in this thread? (Yes, it's a Thunderbird plugin. That's abundantly clear and the entire point.)
Yes, I did read both posts here and on the website, but the link i provided was a response to the Gitlab link posted by craigevil for users who want to download it directly and fast :)

Members online

Latest posts