Today's article is nice and easy - shutdown from the terminal.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It has been pretty hectic. So, today's article is easy and won't take much time to read or learn.

Feedback is awesome.

Good article.

I've used
Code:
sudo reboot
before when kinda stuck and couldn't use the GUI.

I only have one workable article in the chute and I'm coming down with something.

Fortunately, I still have articles that haven't been moved to the new site.

If you're ever 'frozen' you can try the whole REISUB thing as well. There's a link in the article to an article about it. Magic SysRq keys are kinda awesome like that.

If you're ever 'frozen' you can try the whole REISUB thing as well. There's a link in the article to an article about it. Magic SysRq keys are kinda awesome like that.
Thanks will give it a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
David, maybe worth looking at, too, is other options to shutdown (or reboot), at Terminal, as your article says.

For my part, I find it easy to use the runlevels, numbered init 0 (zero) through init 6. The two that are relevant are

init 0 for shutdown

and

init 6 for reboot

These can be used in any Debian-based Distro, and for the most part without needing sudo.

Debian itself, and related distros such as the MX-series, need to be prefaced with sudo. You’ll soon find out which needs what.

Where init is used followed by a runlevel number, that is mostly interchangeable with

telinit

and both go back to sysvinit as a service manager. Nowadays of course more than not distros use systemd as a service manager, but for many of them they have a Legacy sysvinit-systemd component included and so the commands are usable.

Where that Legacy feature is not built in, systemd has replaced runlevels with targets and the numerals 0 – 6 are replaced with names ending in

.target

I can show the readers these options as they apply to other Families, which in my stable of Distros include

Fedora and Mageia (RPM)

openSUSE (using Gecko Linux) (other RPM)

Calculate Linux (Gentoo)

and then of course there is the Arch family (represented by Manjaro, Arcolinux and EndeavourOS).

Cheers
Wizard

Well, they gave me some antibiotics. They're not quite sure, but I appear to have a sinus infection. It's not COVID.

So, there's that...

My sinuses aren't all that impacted - as it appears localized to fluid behind one of my ears - and just one of my ears. But, the infection explains the fever. We'll see what the antibiotics do. They did swab inside my ear canal, so we'll see...

It doesn't particularly hurt. It's the rest of me that hurts.

Members online