Today's article tells you how to properly install the *Snap* version of Chromium.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yup, it's an article about Snaps. That's pretty much everyone's favorite discussion! It not only tells you how to properly install the Snap version of Chromium, it gives some of my thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to do that whole feedback thing. It makes the articles better.

Yeah, I've tried that before and even linked there before - but it turned out to be not really syncing at all. It gives the appearance of it - it logs you in and the likes - but it doesn't sync all the passwords etc.

It may have changed since then, but this was just in the past three or four months - maybe slightly longer.

I've used Ubuntu 21.10 for awhile and used Firefox snap and it worked without a hitch and I never had any problems.

Had I not known that it was a Snap package I'd never have known the difference other than I was unable to Firejail it.

I've tried couple of other Snaps VLC and Zoom and both work without problems.

I fail to see what all of the complaints are with Snaps.
Okay when Snaps were first released they were problematic.

I don't have any problems using Snaps and if I want to use Ubuntu and that's the direction they are moving than I'll use Snaps.

Eventually Debian Ubuntu Linux will be using Snaps imo.

You use older devices so it may not be as clear - but there is a measurable difference in opening speeds. When you first open a Snap app it does take longer (not a whole lot, but some) than when it was installed from a regular repo or whatnot. Once open, there's no speed difference.

And, yeah, folks might as well come to grips with 'em sooner than later.

I'll leave it as an open tab, 'cause it's like midnight here. I'll read it in the morning or early afternoon when I return home from my daily drive. Thanks for the link! I'll read it with greater clarity on the morrow.

Also, I wouldn't rely much on my thinking at this hour of the day. Ain't no way I'm up this late without imbibing - though it's a delicious Newcastle Nut Brown instead of wine.

You use older devices so it may not be as clear - but there is a measurable difference in opening speeds. When you first open a Snap app it does take longer (not a whole lot, but some) than when it was installed from a regular repo or whatnot. Once open, there's no speed difference.

And, yeah, folks might as well come to grips with 'em sooner than later.
AppImages and Flatpaks run inside of containers and some of them are slow at opening however once opened they run fine.

Yeah five and a half one way six the other.

AppImages and Flatpaks run inside of containers and some of them are slow at opening however once opened they run fine.

I haven't timed it, but it's not all that long. I'd say it's under 30 seconds and probably under 20. So, it's nothing too onerous.

I haven't timed it, but it's not all that long. I'd say it's under 30 seconds and probably under 20. So, it's nothing too onerous.
Seems to be about 15 seconds or so the first time which ain't no big deal to me as I ain't in no hurry.
When I feel the need for speed I use antix frugal install or puppy frugal install everything runs from ram so its fast.

Seems to be about 15 seconds or so the first time which ain't no big deal to me as I ain't in no hurry.

It's also nice that it's updated rapidly. If there's an exploit in the wild, you can be pretty confident in knowing that you'll get the newest version quickly. One of the good things done behind the scenes is that it checks for updates twice a day.

I think the more Snaps become more widely used or become the norm more improvements will come to them I could be wrong.

Seems to be one of them wait and see what happens.

Seems I remember Systemd being not so well accepted when it was released and now you hardly hear any complaints about systemd.

Yeah... We Linux users can be pretty conservative with these sorts of things. Considering the field we're in, it's a bit odd how slow some of us will be to try and adapt to changes. Using your systemd example, there are still people who insist on using a distro without it.

I must be one of them because I'm using Antix Linux and MX Linux and PC Linux and none of them have systemd.

I like the Linux distros and that's why I'm using them.

I don't mind systemd. When it started appearing, I learned to use it. It was, to me, just like learning another tool. I find it much better than the old init we used before. I do agree that it has usurped some things it didn't have to, but the end results have been tolerable. (I don't think an init system really needs to be dealing with any networking, for example.)

At the end of the day, a system having systemd or not is not going to be a primary concern for me when I pick my daily driver distro.

A lot of the complaints seem to come from people who just don't like Poettering (spelling?).

TBH I can't tell any difference between an init system or a systemd system as they both work and I've no problems with either.

I'm not using Antix Linux and MX Linux and PC Linux because they're systemd free.

I'm using Antix Linux and MX Linux and PC Linux because I like them and they work good with my older computers.

Systemd seems to run and does what it does in the background without causing my computers any problems.

I don't know if Puppy Linux is systemd most likely it's init system.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have Apparmor Snaps have their own profiles. They are confined pretty well.
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real

Even on a Raspberry Pi there isn't much difference between a snap and the same app installed using apt, other than a few seconds start-up time.

The problem with snaps from a free and open software point of view is that the store is closed source and proprietary controlled. That may change of course.

I'm not using Antix Linux and MX Linux and PC Linux because they're systemd free.

Off topic but on the subject of systemd -

Actually, the MX series does ship with the ability to use systemd. Has since at least the 19 series, perhaps earlier.

All you have to do is to, from your Grub Menu (or make it visible if invisible) choose Advanced Options and there is a choice with each kernel choice to boot using systemd.

AVL Linux (based on MX) has the same capacity, but antiX not.

Cheers

Wiz

guess it doesn't work for the raspberry pi
Screenshot from 2022-04-16 00-17-07.png
Screenshot from 2022-04-16 00-22-22.png

Members online