Today's post is about 'quitting Windows'...

@PsychoHermit ...remember that $150 was 39 years ago.....that value will have escalated enormously since then....bigtime !

I did quite a bit of reading about it back then and avoided doing the "aversion therapy" approach....which basically has your mind suggest to you that smoking is dirty/filthy etc
Instead, I "absorbed the command..."I do not smoke". I would say that to myself mentally whenever I came in contact with smoke or a smoker and especially if someone offered me one.

good luck....the feeling of not smoking is mind blowing....and the physical pluses are enormous...

What a coincidense! I gave up Windows just a few days ago (on July, 14th) bc I got sick of all the restrictions. You can't fully disable the antivirus, you have no full control over your own computer, it keeps deleting open source things I've been using for 7 years cross-platformally without a single problem... On Crapindows 11 you can disable 99% of the antivirus except for that idiotic "Antimalware" process (the same process on Crap 10 that deletes anything it doesn't like) but you can't set a default program for the most commonly used file formats such as JPG, PNG and so on bc the "Browse" button in the file properties is missing and nothing you do brings it back... Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 both enter an endless reboot loop once you install the video driver - the very same driver they used to work with flawlessly 2 years ago. I spent 2 weeks trying to make these damn Crapindowses work, so that I can play 3 games but eventually gave up - it's freaking impossible. And I suspect 7, 8 and 8.1 have pre-programmed ageing which prevents them from being used nowadays - all to force you to install Crapindows 10 and 11.
So 4 days ago I kicked Windows in the butt and everything Windows related. I only left a few programs I need most often. I deleted all the ISO files I had, all the activators, 90% of the programs and drivers I had. I even converted all the storages to ext4. I simply had enough of the restrictions of Micro$hit! If they think that by restricting my rights on my own computer and adding the ridiculous WSL will keep me using their OS, they're deeply mistaken! The person who will give me orders what and how to happen on my own computer hasn't been born yet!

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention - the stupid Crapindows had messed up on of my storages when converting it to GPT. Somehow that storage, after Crapindows' intervention, had become like this: the large partition meant for games had remained MBR and the small partition meant for Crapindows had become GPT. Which Clonezilla told me about when I tried to create a backup of the Microcrap's product... Fortunately GParted fixed it.

I have a legit copy of Windows Enterprise LTSC so a lot of the nuisance and bloat you usually find in retail editions, is toned right down. That said, I only use it on one laptop, in dual boot and it does not get used that much, these days.

I still have Windows on a few machines. Linux gaming has come a long way but there are still games that just don't work on it. I also use some rather niche desktop software for my job and it just runs "better" natively. I am considering rewriting it though!

One of my hobbies is electronic music production. The programs on Linux are good, such as Ardour, LMMS and Qtractor, but I'm not used to them as much as a couple of freeware things and two payware programs bought over 10 years ago. It includes supporting a plug-in format which only works on Windows, or on Linux through Wine, and primarily 32-bit. The successor of the plug-in format has been worthless to me primarily because Wine cannot handle it and it seems to be a game for Windows payware, because the company which controls the destiny of that plug-in format happens to be one of the players.

Otherwise I think I could continue living my life without Windows. I have replaced Windows10 with Spiral Linux KDE on one of my computers which I admit I'm not using very often. But I will not take it off my "main" laptop because it's already 12 years old, will allow the internal hard disk to die and then just say goodbye.

IDK about your house but it certainly won't be the last garbage in general bc Microshit announced a few days ago they're killing Win10 in October 2025. they should have killed it on the day they released it, if you ask me, but nvm. :D Which I'm both happy to hear and not so happy to hear bc Win11 is ever worse garbage and if the rumors of them working on Win12, it's gonna be worse than (10+11) squared.
The biggest motivation I have seen for people to move to linux is for them to work with windows 11 for a little bit. i am seeing many more people asking me for linux after the release of windows 11.

I occasionally read this. If I had not already well and truly left windows behind, THIS would be sufficient to drive me from it

To also be fair...
It most definitely does happen more often with Windows updates. SO often in fact that one of the well known tech commentators about everything windows has made a DEFCON system to describe/warn of the current state of windows updates.

""The MS-DEFCON system assumes that you have your Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 firewall turned on, that you’re using an up-to-date antivirus program (I use Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials, although there are good alternatives) and some form of hardware protection, like almost any router.""
It’s modeled after the US armed forces DEFCON system and uses the same colors as the US Homeland Security alert levels.

It most definitely does happen more often with Windows updates.

Yeah, I used to wait a couple of weeks before applying updates on Windows, just for that reason.

It does happen with other OSes, but not nearly as often. I blindly apply updates to Linux. Heck, I wish they were completely automated, but I'm too lazy to set that up. I probably should...

It is a fact. We are spoiled ....by the competence and professionalism of those who assemble the Updates...(or perhaps the program that automatically assembles them/the person/people who have oversight of the process)

'Just do it!' was my solution.... :D

Ahhh, the "Nike" response." ;) My sig notwithstanding, I'll have to agree. (Says I as I type on a Windows 10 box!)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts