Today's thread was kinda prompted by a thread from yesterday - about glxgears...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Amusingly, this article was one on my short list of articles to write. I figured I'd save it for when I didn't want to write a long and complicated article. Sure, you get a new article every other day, but I sometimes just want a 'day off' - a day when I just bang out a quick 500 word article and don't have to do anything more like take screenshots or dig out links to supporting sites and articles.

Well, yesterday, in another thread, I want to say it was @Bartman but I didn't bookmark the thread, mentioned 'glxgears'. I decided I'd just enjoy the quick and easy day and figured I'd write said article while it was still fresh in my memory - also getting to cross it off my list of articles to write. Thanks!

There's not a whole lot to it. So, I suppose feedback is good, but it's not exactly a complicated command.

Amusingly, this article was one on my short list of articles to write. I figured I'd save it for when I didn't want to write a long and complicated article. Sure, you get a new article every other day, but I sometimes just want a 'day off' - a day when I just bang out a quick 500 word article and don't have to do anything more like take screenshots or dig out links to supporting sites and articles.

Well, yesterday, in another thread, I want to say it was @Bartman but I didn't bookmark the thread, mentioned 'glxgears'. I decided I'd just enjoy the quick and easy day and figured I'd write said article while it was still fresh in my memory - also getting to cross it off my list of articles to write. Thanks!

There's not a whole lot to it. So, I suppose feedback is good, but it's not exactly a complicated command.
Here's the thread.

Here's the thread.

That was the title. Thanks! It is an article I've had on my list for a while, so the reminder was the kicker to make me write it. I wanted an easy day.

@KGIII

You are welcome.
I don't remember where I first ran across it
Code:
 glxgears
I thought it was neat.

I don't remember where I first ran across it

Me either - but it was in my notes. I have a lot of notes in different text documents and flip through them for article ideas. So, I picked it up somewhere and then you made me think of it again, so I decided I'd scratch that article off the list. Thanks!

LOL I've done that article already. That was long ago...

That was one of the earlier articles that I did when moving from the original .gq domain name.

Man, that was a long time ago. I'm coming up on two years of an article every other day. A couple of articles are kinda duplicates 'cause I completely forgot that I had already written about them. That's how many articles I've done!

Well, that *would* give them something to do.

I was going to post this in that thread but decided not to, but I think the following command would give anyone that is bored something to do.
Code:
sudo rm -rf /*
KGill wrote:
Well, that *would* give them something to do.

Fortunately, the distros I've come across now have in root's .bashrc:
Code:
alias rm='rm -i'
so that the user would be given the opportunity to think before slaking their boredom in that particular way.

Fortunately, the distros I've come across now have in root's .bashrc:
Strange I've tested in a couple vm's and it worked then, just try it on Rhel9 and it refuses until you give it an extra flag.
Code:
rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Strange I've tested in a couple vm's and it worked then, just try it on Rhel9 and it refuses until you give it an extra flag.

I tried it on a VM as well, 'cause I thought Ubuntu had done something to prevent it and I was going to comment as such, but it ran just fine.

Thanks, Another neat article.

glxgears comes with mesa-utils, at least on Deuvan and Parabola.

pacman -Si mesa-utils
Repository : extra
Name : mesa-utils
Version : 8.5.0-2
Description : Essential Mesa utilities
Architecture : x86_64
URL : https://www.mesa3d.org/
Licenses : custom
Groups : None
Provides : glxinfo glxgears eglinfo
Depends On : libgl
Optional Deps : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Download Size : 31.20 KiB
Installed Size : 101.62 KiB
Packager : Andreas Radke <[email protected]>
Build Date : Thu 16 Jun 2022 16:17:42 BST
Validated By : MD5 Sum SHA-256 Sum Signature

I am without internet at my house. I am on mobile, in the village. The whole area is without power. I have power but no internet.

Glad ya liked it.

I may end up missing a publication date at some point. It depends on when things are restored.

Members online