Total Linux Newbie.. Need help setting up network

LMW

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

Our business just purchased a new cnc plasma table, and with that came a new computer with Linux. We are all very unfamiliar with this system.

Fortunately, the selling company set up a lot of the programs we need prior to us receiving it, but I cannot for the life of me seem to get connected to our wifi.

The first day at the computer, I was able to connect to our network with no issue. Since that day, our web browser reads "Server Not Found" and I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out what to do, but i'm lost.

Once we are successful in getting the internet up and running, id like to also figure out how to connect to our Windows shared folder for easy file access, but this is not top priority...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Alena

Since it's for the business you work for the best option is to contact the IT department because there is no way of knowing how the network is configured for your work place and other restrictions that may have been implemented on the network by the network admins. Same goes for connecting to a Windows share on your work's network because it will be have to be connecting to a windows samba server with your credentials and maybe other things you might need to know, except you will need to ask the sysadmins for that information.

Since it's for the business you work for the best option is to contact the IT department because there is no way of knowing how the network is configured for your work place and other restrictions that may have been implemented on the network by the network admins. Same goes for connecting to a Windows share on your work's network because it will be have to be connecting to a windows samba server with your credentials and maybe other things you might need to know.

I am the IT department :po_O Lmao.
JK but we are just a husband/wife + one employee business so everything we have set up thus far has been our own doing.

Our last plasma table computer used Windows, so connecting to the network & shared folder were a breeze. This is just totally new for us

Thank you for your reply

Can you open a terminal and share the output of the following?
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i net
ip a
ip route
What Linux distribution are running on your new computer?

Can you get any help from the people who sold it to you?

Can you open a terminal and share the output of the following?
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i net
ip a
ip route
What Linux distribution are running on your new computer?

Please bare with me, not the best quality photo

Just checked and it says Distributor ID - Ubuntu

79FF158B-1C13-4BBB-92C3-DE1987AF7FF3.jpeg

Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
nmcli connection show wlp2s0
nmcli connection show enp1s0
Were you trying to connect to the wifi or to the ethernet cable?

Trying to connect to WiFi. It did connect a few days ago but can’t use the browser since that day.

image.jpg

How about?
Code:
nmcli connection show

Does this mean I have an active WiFi connection?
image.jpg

That's fine, I was just trying to figure out the name of the connections which are available to you. Can you share the output of the following.
Code:
nmcli connection show LMW

You should also be able to call the vendor and ask questions, should you not get the help you need here. I suspect @f33dm3bits will get you squared away, but if not there's the vendor's support as an option.

Reactions: LMW
Is it just a normal wireless router you are connecting to, because looking at the connection information you shared it doesn't really look like a normal connection.

Is it just a normal wireless router you are connecting to, because looking at the connection information you shared it doesn't really look like a normal connection.

just the normal WiFi router we have had for a couple of years. But now that you say that, we do have a WiFi extender in the shop, could that be what you are seeing?

The extender does not show as being connected to this computer so I’m not sure

just the normal WiFi router we have had for a couple of years. But now that you say that, we do have a WiFi extender in the shop, could that be what you are seeing?
No that shouldn't be it because your connection doesn't seem to have a gateway. I compared it to the wireless settings of my laptop, the two things I find strange about your wireless connection are these two:
Code:
802-11-wireless.mode: adhoc
ipv4.method: shared
Normal wireless networks are usually not "adhoc" networks normal networks usually use "dhcp" for their connection. Those two settings and my laptop's wireless connection look like this.
Code:
802-11.wireless.mode: infrastructure
ipv4.method: auto
By setting it to auto it means it would use dhcp to receive it's networking information from your wireless router. We can do one one two things or both if the the one doesn't work:
1. I can tell you the commands to modify your current connection to then see if it works.
2. You can remove the wireless connection through the GUI and then add a new one.

I would say we try 1 first and if that doesn't work you can try using the GUI to try 2?

Try this.
Code:
nmcli connection modify LMW 802-11-wireless.mode infrastructure ipv4.method auto
nmcli connection reload
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
After that can you share the output of the following again.
Code:
ip a
ip route
nmcli connection show LMW

Members online