Trouble launching Arch Installer

V

Videodrome

I have installed different flavors of Arch Linux including Arch, ArchBang, or Jeff Story's very nice Evo/Lution Installer on my Netbook with USB.

I tried using regular Arch or the Evo/Lution Installer on an old HP Laptop and while the main screen loads, the Installer won't launch when I select it from the menu. The same media works fine on my Netbook when I test it though.

I suspect I need a correct Tab option and that the installer is fumbling trying to find the right source. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue. I think this is some kind of Syslinux problem.

I mean I even tried the plain Arch Linux ISO while trying to figure this out. It loads the main menu screen from CD or USB okay.

I press enter and it gives me an error about Vmlinuz or File Not Found and stays on the menu. It won't proceed to uncompress Vmlinuz to even get me the terminal.

ohh. I have had that problem a few times. Normally it is a bad burn. Or bad image...

Could be a bad / dusty USB port. You can also try using an older version of the ISO. Since Arch pulls everything from the repos anyway which version of the installer you use doesn't matter.

Well... I'm confused because this happened with both plain Arch Linux and even the new Evo/Lution installer. Both ISOs seem to hangup in a similar way. I also tried Evo/Lution on both USB and CD.

I think this issue has to do with detecting the correct device to find Vmlinuz.

For what it's worth, I have run Debian and Manjaro on this Laptop before with no problem. Right now it's running FreeBSD.

Well... I'm confused because this happened with both plain Arch Linux and even the new Evo/Lution installer. Both ISOs seem to hangup in a similar way. I also tried Evo/Lution on both USB and CD.

I think this issue has to do with detecting the correct device to find Vmlinuz.

For what it's worth, I have run Debian and Manjaro on this Laptop before with no problem. Right now it's running FreeBSD.
I would definitely try an older version. Perhaps you could network boot it? :eek:

Staff online

Members online