Trouble with Acer aspire es1-132 and Ubuntu

Gabriel Caddy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I'm having an issue with installing Ubuntu 18.10 on my Acer aspire es1-132, I can run it off a live Ubuntu 18.10 and even successfully finish the installation, it the comes up "no bootable devices" so I tried turning off secure boot, didn't work, tried reinstalling, nope. I was then suggests to set trusted uefi in the bios which my bios doesn't have so I tried updating it and no luck, I need this laptop for school, if have any suggestions please reply.
Thanks,
Gabriel John Caddy

G'day Gabriel, and welcome to linux.org :):)

I have to leave for my Australian evening in a few minutes, but I'll ask a couple of questions you can answer, and then someone else will likely help.

1. Are you dualbooting this with Windows and if so, which version (7, 8, or 10)?
2. Do you have a Recovery or Install disk or USB stick set up to recover your Windows?
3. In your setup utility, is there an opportunity to switch between eg UEFI and Legacy/CSM (Compatibility Support Module)?
4. Do you have two hotkeys that you can press to access the setup, eg F2 for a single boot and F12 for the full setup utility, which will include Boot Sequence?

I'll check in with you tomorrow my time.

Good Luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day Gabriel, and welcome to linux.org :):)

I have to leave for my Australian evening in a few minutes, but I'll ask a couple of questions you can answer, and then someone else will likely help.

1. Are you dualbooting this with Windows and if so, which version (7, 8, or 10)?
2. Do you have a Recovery or Install disk or USB stick set up to recover your Windows?
3. In your setup utility, is there an opportunity to switch between eg UEFI and Legacy/CSM (Compatibility Support Module)?
4. Do you have two hotkeys that you can press to access the setup, eg F2 for a single boot and F12 for the full setup utility, which will include Boot Sequence?

I'll check in with you tomorrow my time.

Good Luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
1). No i am not dualbooting
2). I don't as i am not planning to put windows back on but i could create a windows 10 installation usb
3). The acer aspire es1-132 doesn't have legacy support
4). I do have two hotkeys, for bios/setup and for boot manager

it the comes up "no bootable devices"
Have you checked the Boot-up order in the BIOS to make sure that it is Booting from the HDD first, e.g. before the now empty CD-Rom?

Glad to hear you got a solution, Gabriel.

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your Linux.

Wizard

Members online