Troubles With Playing Skyrim on a PS3 Gamepad

DannyT

Reaction score
Credits
So, I'm not sure what could have gone wrong here. Basically, I installed Skyrim, got the voices and music working (a prominent bug when running on Linux systems), and the controller worked fine. I closed the game after that, came back to it later, and now any input from a controller completely freezes the game.

I can tell that this is a problem with this specific game, and not an "every game" problem, because I downloaded Team Fortress 2, enabled the Gamepad, and nothing went wrong when I attempted to use the gamepad. I even closed Team Fortress 2, reset my PC after the first time it worked, opened it again, and it still worked. The freeze also halts any animations, no matter when you enter the inputs. Even the fog effect on the loading screens gets frozen, and the game never loads back in after it locks up. On the System Monitor, it appears to still be accessing CPU resources, even while frozen. Attempting to close it marks it as "unresponsive," but not clicking around in the frozen game window, or other button inputs while it is the active window. The game also continues any sound that was playing, instead of repeating the last fraction of a second of audio, as I've seen in some other crashes. I also have no community mods, just the Special Edition content, which I'm apparently not allowed to disable.

So, has anyone experienced this issue? I'm running Manjaro, Kernel Version 5.8.6-1. I doubt it's hardware issue, because it runs very smoothly if you use mouse and keyboard instead. My whole system doesn't freeze as well - if my kSysGuard is open, I can alt-tab to it. Maybe it's a Proton thing or a WINE thing? I honestly couldn't find anything about this online yet, and I do try to find solutions on my own before asking on a forum or something.

I could also be misremembering the order that I did things in - it's entirely possible that the voices fix was installed after I first tried the controller (and said controller worked) but I haven't seen anyone complaining about the fix messing with the GamePad. Although, the preferred way to play is often the Mouse and Keyboard so maybe it's just me who actually noticed.

Well, seeing as you have ksysguard installed, you might as well install KSystemLog.

It's a lovely way to see your various system logs. Install it, start your game, make it bug out, and then check the logs to see if there's anything salient in there.

Another option is to start it from the terminal and then check any outputs to the terminal when the game freezes.

Well, seeing as you have ksysguard installed, you might as well install KSystemLog.

It's a lovely way to see your various system logs. Install it, start your game, make it bug out, and then check the logs to see if there's anything salient in there.

Another option is to start it from the terminal and then check any outputs to the terminal when the game freezes.

I see. I didn't know what KSystemLog was, but it looks like it was already installed. Unfortunately, for troubleshooting, I re-installed Skyrim and now the fix for the audio doesn't seem to work at all, but the gamepad works. So I guess I'll keep tinkering with it and see if I can either reproduce the freeze, or get both to work at the same time.

If you're having issues, don't be afraid to look through the logs. Look for something in the right time-frame that stands out. You never know, it might throw an error that you can search for at your favorite search engine.

Members online

Latest posts