Troubleshooting Linux Wizard-style - Lend Me Your Ears and Give Me Your Stories

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
More experienced Members and Staff may tell me that this Thread’s purpose is already in place in another Section, with another Thread.

If so, I will pack up me bongoes, and move over there. :)

If not, then it is my hope that we can, together, put together a mini-Wiki on Troubleshooting your/our Linuxes.

My first example was solved only today, at time of writing.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

KEY ISSUE

Tab Autocomplete function was not working in one of my Distros, notably Linux Mint 18.3 ‘Sylvia’ MATE.

IMPORTANCE/PRIORITY

High – I use this function frequently, to “cd” to where I store my downloaded isos, and then use “dd” to burn USB sticks.

HISTORY OF PROBLEM/BACKGROUND

Started early February 2018. Duration 18 days, so far.

WIDESPREAD/GLOBAL?

No, just on this particular Distro, all others (23 – 24) are fine.

PROPOSED ACTION WAS

I was going to erase the Distro and reinstall.

It would have taken 2 minutes or less with GParted to erase the Distro; I had the iso to reinstall; this would have taken 30 minutes or more, and then 30 minutes or more to restore my Settings.

I also had a snapshot of the Distro with Timeshift, but thought there was little point in using it if it simply reproduced the problem.

MORE BACKGROUND

Some weeks ago, I had thought it handy to have the two partitions /dev/sda31 called Adata2-way (which I use instead of Home, for data storage) and /dev/sda32 Shifted, which I use for currently 18 snapshots of Distros … on my Desktop, that is, automounted.

Elsewhere, I had bookmarked, perhaps a year ago, a Tutorial on automounting, and tracked it down. It is here

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1513

… and so I modified my /etc/fstab file to accommodate that.

Here is my fstab, reproduced using nano.

H1xzRef.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - fstab as it was

The bottom two lines were the new lines resulting from reading the Tutorial, and described my /dev/sda31 and /dev/sda32.

... following is my revised fstab

E3bqGrH.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - fstab revised, now

and here is my input at the Linux Community site (only partly reproduced, copyright may be in place)

LHVephc.png

SCREENSHOT 3 - my input to that Tutorial

That is my input at the top, we will see if anything comes back, from it.

So, in closing for now:

It does not matter whether you are a Newb/Noob, or an Old Hand at Linux (maybe 3 - 5 years experience, arbitrary figure) -

If you have troubleshooted (should that be troubleshot? :D) a problem - it may be of interest or news to others, share them here ;)

Meantime, I will keep on Posting, lol.

Enjoy your Linux, and share the love :p

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts