Trying Arch

V

Videodrome

At first, I gave ArchBang a try, but Pacman behaved strangely on it. I decided to take on the lengthy process of installing plain Arch Linux following the Arch Wiki and other tutorials.

Eventually, I got an old formerly WinXP HP Laptop converted to running Arch Linux with the SLiM login manager and lean LXDE desktop. I am impressed with this boot speed, and this is coming from a long time Crunchbang user. The installation is very involved, but there is a payoff.

I also wiped out ArchBang from my Netbook and over wrote it with plain Arch Linux which I'm typing on now. I had missed one step causing a glitch, but I have it ironed out now. I also have Wireless up.

Only complaint, the distro came with a strange problem with Grub that required a fix. Once I had the fix, things got put into place and it's running wonderfully now. Also, Pacman is different, but I'm quickly getting used to it and it's working normally unlike on the ArchBang install.

I still have Crunchbang to compare it with. I'm now rockin my Netbook with a Triple boot Crunchbang, Kali Linux, and now Arch Linux.

Welcome to the ranks of Archers. :)

What do you mean by "Strangely"? Have you tried using Yaourt ? Using powerpill instead of pacman?

Pacman on ArchBang seemed to require additional setup or some kind of "Key Ring" for packing signing as security. Pacman on Archbang also said packages where corrupted. I dunno lol.

I did find posts about Yaourt, but couldn't seem to get it because of Pacman acting weird.

Anyway, the move to Arch Linux solved this. I installed SLiM, LXDE, and Firefox with Pacman and it acted normally.

I'll also mentioned I've used Pacman on Manjaro and had no issues like with ArchBang.

Oh well... the Arch expience has had some trial and error... but I finally got the payoff with a fast OS.

Yaourt is for installing packages from the AUR without downloading and installing each individually. It is not the Arch Way but..

Worth it for new users.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts