Trying Sabayon

V

Videodrome

Yeah, I gave up on the long Gentoo install lol. o_O

So far, this seems like a decent OS. I went with Xfce and thought the default setup wasted space with toolbars on top and on the bottom of the screen though so in a few clicks I had that fixed.

I did get into Gentoo enough to learn just a little about Portage, but of course the primary package system in Sabayon is Entropy. I can still Emerge programs to build and install from source, but I've heard that carelessly using both Portage and Entropy together is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

I wondered if there are advantages or mostly disadvantages to messing with Portage/Emerge in Sabayon, or if it should just be avoided and just stick with Entropy/Equo.

While rpm is available in Debian repository, it's strongly recommended to you only native package managers. Even if Sabayon is closely related to Gentoo, I think it would be very messy, because you will need to maintain all your packages manually. Better compile from source huh:)

Entropy offers pre-compiled Gentoo packages. I guess there is a risk of breakage if you use compiled programs from Portage alongside it.

Members online

Latest posts