Trying to Get Gnome Boxes to Boot Up VM

D

Deleted member 111282

For a while now, I've been checking out other distros so I can eventually switch to one, and Nitrux is one I want to try. I downloaded Gnome Boxes because the description said it's very easy to set up VMs. The problem is every time I try to set up any distro in a VM, I get an error message saying it failed to start it. Nitrux Minimal only takes up 1.32 gigs, so by giving the default 2 gigs, I don't know what I did wrong. I even went into settings to potentially change something in order to make it start up, and that didn't help.

Sometimes I've found Gnome Boxes ineffective, regardless of settings. First of all, you may well have some virtual machine settings in your BIOS. Have you enabled those?

Second, if you have and it's still not working, can you get something like VirtualBox working? For reasons that escape me, sometimes VBox will work when nothing else does.

I agree job one is the virtualization settings in bios. Use the link below skipping the windows stuff at the beginning and make sure the virtualization is enabled. You may have to find other instructions based on the bios using but the intel/amd settings are the same

If you get through that my next question is what are you using for a hypervisor and the error received. I would also recommend you have at least 8 gigs of ram or you may just not be able to make it fly due to lack of resources.

@KGIII I wasn't aware I had those in my BIOS, but I'll check on that in a minute. I have used VB before, but for some reason, I struggle with getting the ISO attached to the VM (as seen below):

Screenshot_2022-08-04_00-15-11.png

When you boot your VM in Vbox, press F12, set your ISO as the one you want, and boot to that.

That's easiest for me.

Members online