Trying to Install F-Droid, but Somehow Stuck (Solved)

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

Rather than running here for every time I'm having trouble, I did try to be self-reliant and look for a tutorial on my own. Maybe the reason I'm having trouble is I haven't installed software using Archive Manager in 3 or so years (as GUIs are easier to use, IMO), causing me to become a bit rusty.

I downloaded F-Droid, saved it under Archive Manager, extracted the files, ran
Code:
sudo apt-get install F-Droid.apk
, and I got an error message as seen below:
Code:
david@david-ThinkPad-X200-Tablet:~$ sudo apt-get install f-droid.apk
[sudo] password for david:           
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package f-droid.apk
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'f-droid.apk'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'f-droid.apk'

Then I tried F-Droid with the .apk part, and that also led to an error message:
Code:
david@david-ThinkPad-X200-Tablet:~$ sudo apt-get install f-droid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package f-droid

Any suggestions?

You can't install F-droid on Linux it's an alternative store for Android devices, I think apk stands for Android Application Package.

I checked Wikipedia a few times in the past, and it said it was available for not only Android, but for Linux and Windows 10, and for BSD servers. Granted, Wikipedia isn't always reliable, and F-Droid's website didn't mention if it can be used on other operating systems.

On the page I linked in my first reply it literally says Android only.
F-Droid is a robot with a passion for Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) on the Android platform.
F-droid provides apk packages which are Android packages(apk's) which can't be installed on other platforms.

Last edited:
On the page I linked in my first reply it literally says Android only.

F-droid provides apk packages which are Android packages(apk's) which can't be installed on other platforms.

Point taken. I'll see if the apps listed in it's repository are available elsewhere.

This hasn't got anything to do with Linux, except by way of Android which we really don't cover here. Yes, Android is technically a Linux. F-Droid is for FOSS on Android. As such, I'm moving this to off-topic.

This hasn't got anything to do with Linux, except by way of Android which we really don't cover here. Yes, Android is technically a Linux. F-Droid is for FOSS on Android. As such, I'm moving this to off-topic.

Got it

Members online