Solved Trying to install Linux Mint 21

Solved issue

cosmic mango

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install Linux Mint 21 on an hp 15ay014dx laptop. The installation seemed to be working until I clicked on 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon'- It goes to a screen that says 'error: bad shim signature / 'error: you need to load the kernal first'
When I reboot, it just goes to the same screen.
I've read this has to do with secure boot. I can still get into the BIOS by hitting f10 at start up, but there is no reference to secure boot in the BIOS.
Now it is just totally stuck.☹️

but there is no reference to secure boot in the BIOS.
It is also known as windows quick-start ....when you find it, be sure to reboot after disabling it

My search phrase was : disabling secure boot in HP Notebook - 15-ay014dx

A lot of answers there....apparently this is a problem

It is also known as windows quick-start ....when you find it, be sure to reboot after disabling it
Thank you for your reply! Now I'm embarrassed - when I went back into the BIOS, I found 'secure boot' right where it should be... I disabled it, followed the instructions to enter a code and now Linux is up and running!

I have an 11 year old Laptop that came with w7...I'm lucky it doesn't have that m$ crap...fast boot and secure boot so I can install any Distro I like without any trouble as it should be after all we own the Laptop not m$.
m1212.gif

@cosmic mango ...Well Done !!!

....it matters not exactly how you did it......

You can count that one as a WIN

G'day @cosmic mango , from DownUnder :)

Go to your first Post, and top right side, click the 3 dots and choose Edit Thread.

Then click where it says No Prefix and choose Solved.

Good work and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Afternoon, Brian - we crossed beams - bad, according to Ghostbusters. :)

Members online